Bypassing a BT main socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Finally getting around to tiling the kitchen above the worktops in our new house, and from new some pillock decided that the best place for our master BT socket was in the corner of the kitchen left of the sink and right of the cooker... So with an ADSL adapter hanging out of it and a phone line running along the worktops behind the sinks we have decided it either needs to be moved, or even removed.
A sparky said (while doing other stuff snagging related) to my other half that moving it was easy but "don't get BT to do it".
Well I've removed the whole assembly from the wall to have a look, and behind the metal casing there is a black main cable rising from below, and a white cable that rises up, through the floor space above and drops neatly into the living room corner behind the TV area. Behind the metal box is a dwang(or Noggin for those outside Scotland!). It would be simple enough to note and photo all wiring for reassembly, and cut a hole in the other side of the wall, feed the cables through and reconnect it if it wasn't for the fact there is no space on the other side as it's the utility room with a double socket, extractor fan and two immersion timers taking up all available space at the correct level, and there's not enough play on either main or extension cable to raise or lower the height it's at....so it's looking physically impossible to shift it.
So, how can I do away with it altogether, in effect making the living room one the only socket(it's all we need for a phone and BT homehub)?
There is a white and blue wire into the back of the socket, and the usual 4 that go off to the extension(orange/white, white/orange, blue/white, white blue). How could I remove the socket and connect these together, or is the blindingly simple solution to remove the metal box, enlarge the square cutout in the plasterboard, ensure all 6 connections are bombproof and just bury the whole assembly in the wall behind the tiles!!!?

Any advice much appreciated!:cool:

Sponsored Links
legally your not ment to touch it

but to do what i think you want to do and if the white cable is in spec you need one of these

80a.jpg

if you are going to use the connector shown and extend the wire make sure you can access it. nothing is perfect and faults will happen. if you cover it up and it goes faulty in the future you will have to call BT and they will charge a fortune to relocate your line and by-pass faulty section.

ring BT for a quote to shift your line it may not be as bad as you think and they will cover any maintenance on it as it is their equipment.

also you might try the safety aspect with it being in the kitchen. tell them its not safe and you want it shifted for free. BT are all about safety

Thanks for the replies, may give them a call and ask them why they have put it where it is as it's clearly in a dangerous place. The electrical sockets are all pretty close to the sink too, is there any laws about that?!

Sponsored Links
Are you over head fed or underground the only reason I ask and I suspect your overhead is if its underground you may have a box on the outside wall that you could just run a cable from to your new position and resite the BT Nte.

It's underground, the box is near the shared driveway on my neighbours side and the cable goes under the drive, through the garden(loose definition-cleared forest glacial till wasteland) and up into the house through a large service duct that all the wastewater/electric/plumbing/phone etc share, utterly inaccessible as the house is on mini stilts(too fecking mini to get under architect needs shot!) on piling/pad founds and its towards the middle of the house.
BT probably just place it where it's easiest with not a care as to it's suitability :evil:

BT more than likely installed their 'box' where the architect / builder put the service duct when the house was built

BT more than likely installed their 'box' where the architect / builder put the service duct when the house was built

I Agree with Europlex not BT fault, they cant be expected to take on future changes ,alterations etc in the siting of the nte. You could be brave and get some jelly crimps and wrap it in some self amalgamating tape and bury it behind the tiles but do that and test your connection especially broadband before burying.

Cant you just pull both cables down below the kitchen unit and either put them in a cupbaord or under the kickboard?

A loose NTE5a under the kickboard is not ideal, but certainly serviceable.

Like I said in the OP I have a cable from above and below so it can't be moved vertically as not enough spare cable to allow it, and I can't move it horizontally due to the sockets on the other side....
Looks like it will be easiest to just neatly tile behind all the sockets and just not use it....
The picture kindly posted earlier bears no relation to the wiring at all BTW!!!!

Plus the phone lines are 25volts so shouldn't be much risk.
Na 50vdc normal 75v ac ringing , still nothing to worry about but a ringer might make you jump a bit and smack your hand against something sharp.
Used to be known as tag rash in the exchanges.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back