Bypassing Delay Switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some pneumatic delay switches controlling some bulkhead lights in a long hallway. Pressing one switch causes all lights to come on - they’re all wired together.

I’m thinking of replacing the lights with new ones with built in PIR sensors (have installed one as a test and it seems to work well) and then just bypassing the switches.

The pneumatic delay switches just have live & neutral wires going into them. If I just whip out each switch, join all these wires up with bits of terminal block inside the holes where the switches used to be, and then cover the holes with a blanking plate, will that be a safe way to do it? Can’t see a problem myself, but am keen to get a second opinion.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
upload_2021-10-7_15-13-10.png

The pneumatic delay switches just have live & neutral wires going into them.
No, they don't.

If I just whip out each switch, join all these wires up with bits of terminal block inside the holes where the switches used to be, and then cover the holes with a blanking plate, will that be a safe way to do it?
Join the two wires that are connected to the switch - Yes.

Well, a brown wire and a blue wire.

anyway, thank you

Hang on a minute.

EDIT Deleted incorrect information.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The PIRs will only control the lamp that they are part of. Triggering one PIR will not turn ON the other lights.

Hang on a minute.
If you have multiple pneumatic switches operating the same set of lights along the coridor the switches will be connected in parallel so chances are you'll need to maintain colours, ie join brown to brown in one connecter and blue to blue in another.
Eh?

He might only need to connect the wires together at ONE switch but as he is removing all the switches, he may as well connect them at all the switches.

However, as he is fitting PIR lights, he might need to use the switched lives at all the lights.

Eh?

He might only need to connect the wires together at ONE switch but as he is removing all the switches, he may as well connect them at all the switches.

However, as he is fitting PIR lights, he might need to use the switched lives at all the lights.

to clarify: the wiring into the back of the PIR light that I’m trialling only has two wires (blue and brown) - there’s no switched live & no earth

Last edited:
Do you have any other wires in the box behind any of the switches?

If not, then it is likely that ONE of the lights has more than two wires, with two wires going to the other lights.
In which case, only one PIR will switch on the other lights - OR - each light will be controlled only by its own PIR.

So the wiring might be more involved than you think.

Do you have any other wires in the box behind any of the switches?

If not, then it is likely that ONE of the lights has more than two wires, with two wires going to the other lights.
In which case, only one PIR will switch on the other lights - OR - each light will be controlled only by its own PIR.

So the wiring might be more involved than you think.

I’ll double check this shortly. Thanks

A PIR consumes around 3 watts 24/7, around £5 a year. Multiply that by the number of lights and perhaps you may wish to reconsider.

the PIR sensor is an integral part of each light so each sensor only controls one light

Correct, and that is why the extra wire ( shown in Purple ) has to be added to the wiring between lamps if all the lamps are to come ON when only PIR is activated.

Correct, and that is why the extra wire ( shown in Purple ) has to be added to the wiring between lamps if all the lamps are to come ON when only PIR is activated.

Ok - understood. It’s fine for just one light to come on at a time though - don’t need all of them on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back