Bypassing NEST thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

My son's Nest thermostat has packed up (another story) but to get him going we have bypassed it by adding a switch as per the picture. The boiler is a simple Potterton combi. It seems to work just fine by manually switching it on and off but I just want to make sure I'm not causing any long term damage or doing anything dangerous by doing this?
swewew.jpg

Sponsored Links
I should have added that the black and grey wires now being switched come from the boiler and were previously wired to 2 and 3

Those are the OpenTherm terminals and should only be connected to OpenTherm connections. The big button in the middle provides manual switching

Sponsored Links
Those are the OpenTherm terminals and should only be connected to OpenTherm connections. The big button in the middle provides manual switching
How do you know they’re opentherm?

Because they're marked "OT1" and "OT2" and because I've fitted well over 100 of them

I don't think they are connected to opentherm, it just looks like it. They used to be connected to 2 and 3 and the OP has simply bridged them out. They exit the flex and go straight to some sort of terminal block we can't quite see.

Nothing at all when pressed. The manual switch I have added seems to be doing the same thing though.

Have you contacted google about the nest? I believe this is a common problem and they will send you a new one and some money to get it changed out?
Yes... he has a new one coming. Didn't know they pay towards the change out though! I'll let him know and he can chase them on it!

I'd put some tape over those connections in the white block at the bottom, you can see some exposed copper hairs that have the potential to be live.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back