Bypassing RCD to Main Fuse Box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a heating element blow recently in my holiday lodge. The trouble is that it blows the main fuse 50 yds away in my house therefore bypassing the RCD box in the lodge.

Any helpful comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Does the lodge not have overcurrent protection as well as the RCD?
RCDs will detect earth leakage, not a short or overload!

Thanks PBD

I think you just answered the question. It cant have overcurrent protection. Any idea how much to instal?

What circuits do you have at the lodge and what loads are on these?
Also what type of earth arrangement do you have? As earth loop impedance would need to be accessed.
I can run you through it, but the best advice would be to contact a local registered electrician. If it is a case that you have no MCBs on the circuits within the lodge, this could be a dangerous situation.

Sponsored Links
I think there are about 7 or 8 circuits. They include electric shower, water heater, 3 x 100 watt electric heaters and the usual lights, cooker, etc. All covered by flick fuses. So presumably this is an MCB/RCD in the lodge.

Thats why I am scratching my head as to why these fuses aint blowing.

Dont know about earth or impedance so will prob take your advice and get a registered electrician. I just wanted an idea as to how much it would cost me.

What size breaker is blowing at the house and what size breaker is on the circuit causing an issue, sounds like you either have a design problem or a faulty MCB.

Some details of the MCB would be appreciated as there have been some recent problems with certain makes, when was the installation fitted?

would be difficult to estimate cost, as initially this is a fault find and diagnosis and I personally would only do this on day rate/hourly price.
As it could be down to a few reasons and you may not nail it straight away.
Also a pictures of the board may offer some clues, preferably with the cover off. But isolate before removing cover.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back