RCD keeps tripping.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help. Pretty desperate. We've just had a pretty bad storm in Ilford and all our electrics blew. On investigation I discovered that the RCD is blowing when we flick the fuse for the kitchen and utility room. If that is off the other fuses in the fuse box can remain on. Trying to contact an electrician we use but he's not available at the moment.

We've unplugged everything and it still blows.

Help please for an uneducated householder and if I can contact my electrician is it likely to be expensive?

Sponsored Links
If you have any outdoor sockets or lights on that circuit they need to be swiched off or isolated. Switch off and unplug all appliances on that circuit and try to reset the rcd.

Regards,

DS

To clarify, there could be moisture inside an outdoor socket or outdoor light.

Thank you. As far as I know the particular fuse that keeps tripping only does the utilities. But I'll check now, thank you.

Sponsored Links
I've checked. Can't think of any outside lights on that circuit. Slight improvement now in that the RCD doesn't trip immediately - now electrics stay on for 10-20 seconds so maybe water has got in somewhere and is drying out now the storm has passed. Thank you both for your help.

The fault, probably water ingress, can cause the RCD to trip even though the MCB for that circuit is switched OFF. The MCB disconnects only the Live while the Neutral remains connected.

Although switching ON the MCB for the utility circuit is cauing the RCD to trip the actual fault is on a circuit on a different MCB

Not sure I fully understand the techie bits but I think you're saying to me that the fault could be somewhere other than the circuit that is actually tripping out.

Managed to contact my electrician. He's coming over Wed so thank you all for your help.

but I think you're saying to me that the fault could be somewhere other than the circuit that is actually tripping out.
Yes, switching on the utility room MCB and then switching on an appliance in that room will cause some current to flow through the fault that is on another circuit whose MCB is switched OFF. That current through the fault is the reason the RCD trips. Not all electricians realise this and may spend a lot of time looking on the wrong circuit for a fault that isn't on that circuit.

Is the boiler/heating system on that circuit? Faulty pump/valves can cause this.
Make sure that is isolated - a common cause of RCD tripping is places where elctricity and water are close together.

Thank you to everyone who replied. Whatever the cause was, all the power is back on. Because it happened during a massive storm I'm going to ask our electrician to check all the outside lights in case there is a water leakage somewhere (I need to change two anyway).

Your help has been invaluable, not because I was able to do anything (I'm a DIY disaster) but because you put my mind at ease that it didn't have to be something major (=majorly expensive) to put right.

It rarely is anything expensive. The cost is usually in the time taken to find out what is causing it.
A fault that is there all the time is easiest to find, one that happens 'now and again' is the more difficult to locate.

Sometimes it's a put on the deerstalker hat and light the pipe situation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back