C&G 2391

Sponsored Links
Good luck.

Don't spend too much time reading that overly-long scenario in Part B... you don't need half of that information if the last five exams have been anything to go by!

2 1/2 hour exam, finished it in 1:20, had re-checked my answers by 1:30, then sat there for the last hour..

one or 2 questions i was not 100 sure of..

1. for a T-N-S system, calculate the maximum permisable Zs of a 30mA rcd.. ( no other info given.. )

i worked it out ( after an epiphany at 1:50.. good job I sat there... ) that it was 50/30mA = 1666 ohms... this sounds high for me but is ok to the regs for dry locations on TT systems..
can't find the formula for T-N-S systems though..

looks like i messed up the IP ratings too...

state the minimum IP rating for the following..

a) a surface mounted switch in an office
b) electrical equipment in zone 2 of a bathroom
c) the terminal cover of a 3 phase motor..

i put

a) IP4x
b) IP56
c) IP4x

b is wrong for sure.. went too high..
only has to be IPx4 or IPx5 where water jets are likely for cleaning in comunal bathrooms or shower rooms.

ColJack said:
2 1/2 hour exam, finished it in 1:20

That's either very good indeed, or not good at all. I usually finish in about an hour-and-a-half, but I get lots of practice.

We'll keep our fingers crossed.

Sponsored Links
I didn't get that question about the Zs either, everyone I sat it with was a bit stumped by that one aswell

The IP ratings I know you got c) right the question asked for the horizontal surface cover of a 3 phase motor which you're right is IP4X a) I thought was IP2X or IPXXB the BS finger probe not sure though

Best of luck with your results fella

think we could re-create the test paper here between us? our lecturer wanted a copy for his "past papers" pile, but we couldn't sneak one out..

Hi ColJack

Did the theory exam last night as well, got stuck on the same questions as you and so did the rest of our class, the rest was pretty straight forward though especially part B (rule of thumb how many times please!)

dingbat said:
ColJack said:
2 1/2 hour exam, finished it in 1:20

That's either very good indeed, or not good at all. I usually finish in about an hour-and-a-half, but I get lots of practice.

We'll keep our fingers crossed.

Do you have access to the model answers? I haven't got around to doing the exam yet!!
Not sure on the TN-S question, the maximum to the 50v rule is 1666ohms but in some special locations this is halved (i.e. 25v rule). In reality, if we got a reading of anywhere near this on a TN-S I think most of us would be looking for the problem(s).

Spark123 said:
Do you have access to the model answers?

Sadly, no.

C & G have become very keen on hanging onto the papers. Those from the Brian Scaddan era were pretty much in the public domain and exams had become very predictable. The new brooms are looking for proper understanding, rather than cramming past papers.

Yeah, I can open that link.I did register with the hotmail account but still could not open the links from the IET for a long time now :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back