C&G Part One

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
5 Year ago i passed my c&g 236 part one but for various reasons was unable to complete part two.
Was wondering whether my c&g part one was still valid coz i'm thinking of going back to college to take part two and if it is still valid is c&g236 still a recognised qualification in the industry coz i sem to remeber at the time a lot of talk about NVQ,s replacing it?
Couls anybody shed any light (no pun) on the situation.
thanks

Sponsored Links
C&G 236 became 2360 and part 1 should still be valid
Consider taking 2391 as well, perhaps as another night class.

I managed to get an exemption for Pt 1 as I already had Radio & TV and Telecomms Technicians from a previous incarnation. But it was fun taking the exams as it filled a slack day.

Thanks Qedelec.
What qualification is 2391? and do i still need to do my 2360 part two?

2391 is inspection and texting.

as for qualifications you need whatever it takes to convince your customers/employers/part P certification scheme/whatever that you are competant enough to be undertaking the work.

IIRC niceic domestic installer ask for 2381 or 2391 plus you have to pass thier own assesment. I think approved contractor has higher requirements. not sure about the other schemes.

Sponsored Links
2391 is inspection and texting

I think he meant testing lol

Domestic installer reg requires you to present two jobs of your choice which you have taken extra special care over.

Full reg requires you to present a list of all your work and they choose 2 jobs to inspect and you hope they don't choose the only one that you are not too proud of. lol

I am assuming that you want to set up on your own and self certify your work.

You need to satisfy one of the certifying agencies (NICEIC, ECA, NAPIT, BSI or ELECSA) that you are a competent person and that you hold a recognised qualification.

The minimum qualification for most schemes is C&G2381

NICEIC will accept you but only if you have C&G 2360 PART TWO
Your Part One is insufficient see here: -

http://www.niceic.org.uk/partp/partprequire.html

This leaves you with three choices, either: -
1. Finish 2360 part two (still just possible as this scheme has not yet finished) or
2. Pass C&G 2381 (16th Edition Wiring regulations) or
3. Pass the EAL Level 2 Domestic Installer Scheme

http://www.niceic.org.uk/partp/newsitem_aug1604.htm

You will be assessed by an inspector (from whichever agency you choose) and they will normally ask to see two jobs that you have completed.

They will ask you questions about those jobs (why you did it that way instead of this way etc.) and you will be asked to test your work using approved test instruments. The test readings you obtain will be the subject of another discussion with the inspector.

He will want to know if they are in line with the expected values and if not, what that may signify or what actions you may need to take in order to make the situation safe.

C&G 2391 is a good course and will teach you about inspection and testing but this qualification is only required by NAPIT, the NICEIC don't ask for it to be granted self certification status (Part P).

Thanks Swindon for your very informative answer.
I think i will take my 236 part two and also the 2381, seems to be the best way forward, although i have gathered a lot of information on sites like this in the meantime.

Just to advise you that 2360 has in fact changed to 2330 and even more confusingly part 2 is now called level 3 - you need to be on the ball even just to get on the right course!!

However, all the exam is now split into four parts each being on line multiple choice which I found much easier than a written exam.

Example of question: if a colleague received an electric shock what would be the first thing you would do? - One of the 4 possible answers was 'run away'!!

Good luck
SB

Sparkybird, you are right that 2330 has replaced 2360 but it is still possible to finish 2360 at PART TWO level. This is to allow those with 2360 part one to finally get finished.

Some colleges are still taking students for 2360 part two. The list however is getting shorter by the minute as the 2330 course is now fully established.

Don't confuse 2360 Parts one and two with NVQ level two and three.

The 2360 or 2330 course is an academic (college) course whereas an NVQ is work based and you are assessed by an external assessor.

nabby68 said:
I think i will take my 236 part two and also the 2381, seems to be the best way forward, although i have gathered a lot of information on sites like this in the meantime.
I have a distinct feeling that if you've got 2360 1&2 you don't need 2381...

sparkybird said:
Example of question: if a colleague received an electric shock what would be the first thing you would do? - One of the 4 possible answers was 'run away'!!
Was another one 'rifle through his wallet'?

ban-all-sheds said:
nabby68 said:

I have a distinct feeling that if you've got 2360 1&2 you don't need 2381...

I think that the 2360 has to have been awarded in the last three years AFAIK

pdelec wrote: -
I think that the 2360 has to have been awarded in the last three years AFAIK

Read the link I embedded chaps.

The NIC will accept a 2360 part 2 from 1993 onwards: -

http://www.niceic.org.uk/partp/partprequire.html

ban-all-sheds wrote: -
I have a distinct feeling that if you've got 2360 1&2 you don't need 2381

True, that's also mentioned on the URL link and something I said in my first reply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back