New extension-part p question & advice re qualification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,first post here-excellent site!

First off I qualified as an electrician about 17 years ago passing C&G 236 part 1&2 with those 2 practical exams as well (AM1 & AM2??).16 years ago I joined the police force!

With part P in force I fully realise that you have to be a competent person etc to certify work.

How do my previous electrical qualifications stand up now? would I have to do a refresher for the latest regs? (not wanting to go as far as part P).Or is it way to much in the past now?

Secondly,am having extension built & realise it will be notifiable part p.I have always done my own electrical work & intend to this time as well getting the LABC to inspect it.

I will liaise with the inspector but wanted to run my installation pass you up to date guys!

extension provides large bedroom,new porch & additionally a detached garage that will have power & lighting.

Extension:New ring serving bedroom & porch containing 6 DSSO,lighting to existing lighting circuit installing 240v downlighters in both bedroom & porch (hate transformer things cause they go wrong too much!)

I will be installing several lights on the outside wall of the bedroom to provide pathway lighting & several downlighters housed in the soffit above front door.Intend to make these low voltage on their own circuit on the RCD side of CU. (conduit to bridge cavities)

Garage will have buried 10mm SWA with sub board for two DSSO & lighting.Buried cable in accordance with regs.

I have kept my practical skills up to date & am confident I can still install to the required standard (domestic only-would be a bit rusty with 3 phase etc!)

Not trying to bypass a tradesman here its just I still feel up to the job!

Advice & comments appreciated on the above please-no groans about speeding tickets! :p

Sponsored Links
Since this is a new extension, Part P will already be covered in your Building Application. LABC will inspect the electrics when they inspect the structure.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the above!

So in a nutshell I can do the work myself as long it will conform to part p whether or not I am a 'fully' qualified electrician.

Thanks for clearing this up-I am way past doing sparky work for other people but like to do my own.

rob114 said:
thanks for the above!

So in a nutshell I can do the work myself as long it will conform to part p whether or not I am a 'fully' qualified electrician.

Thanks for clearing this up-I am way past doing sparky work for other people but like to do my own.

and you should still be allowed to do your own work.

there are still people out there who dont know about part p yet still dont hesitate to do electrical work

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back