part p & notification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

i've been trying to make head & tail over what a normal householder can & cannot do. how part p & self certified contractors come into the equation, lastly about notification to building control.

after reading it several times, can someone just confirm....

a normal joe soap can replace / repair even install new sockets under part p without any qualifications if the circuit is already rcd protected & doesnt involve a new circuit? and isnt in a special room / location?

this includes for example a new light fitting, or socket in a bedroom?

doing so also means it doesnt have to be notified to building control?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
a normal joe soap can replace / repair even install new sockets under part p without any qualifications if the circuit is already rcd protected & doesnt involve a new circuit? and isnt in a special room / location?
Yup.

In fact, he can do what he likes where he likes without qualifications, but some things need notifying.

this includes for example a new light fitting, or socket in a bedroom?
But even non-notifiable work has to be done safely, so you need to be aware of cable routing zones, ring final/spur issues, voltage drop and fault-loop issues with cable lengths, the effect of thermal insulation and grouping on the current-carrying capacity of cables...

Does the big P prevent the replacement of sockets that are not already protected by an RCD then?

I'm sure it does not :D

Sponsored Links
thanks matty & ban all sheds.

i have been cabling for many years, although was finding it hard to navigate my way around what i can / cannot do & who i am meant to notify & when. As with all things, i seem to have just fallen into doing this over the last 20yrs & not thought about this side of it. The information you have all given me seems to have cleared up alot of it, also with good clarification in some of the links you & other members have sent me today. - thank you.

I now only need to review the bs1761 & also checkout cable routing zones which i am hoping are covered in the same document for the bulk of my remaining questions.

I believe there are a couple of things i have done (shed power) which will need some review, but for the most part, my day to day work & installs seem fine & equal or exceed the required codes.

does anyone know off the top of there head if there is any reason elv cables cannot be run through a loft space? (for example a tv ariel on the roof, to an amp in the loft, then into the bedrooms & lounge via the space between the partition walls & into pattresses / front plates? in some premises they ask for cctv, so along with tv cables, there are 12vdc/75ohm shotgun cables also run from the camera on the outside of the house, via the loft space & into a recorder with an output back into the feed of the distribution amp. (these are neatly clipped around the loft space with any mains cables run seperately from the elv)

thanks for your help,
josh1e

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back