Part P Qualification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I'm planning on wiring my yet to be constructed summer house to my houses supply, don't worry my question isn't about this I've already done a search and know how I'm going to do it.

I was aware of the part p rules but not 100% sure of all aspects and I was wondering if anyone here is qualified for domestic installations? If so could you advise me on how I'd proceed to get qualified? I'm not really looking for a course, just a book that covers the subject area and the end exam and any idea of the costs involved.

I already have a bachelors degree in electrical and electronic engineering so the general theory is not beyond me but that doesn't mean i have any idea about up to date regulations.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Oh if it was that easy

Speaking as a degree qualified electrical engineer who is now trading as a qualified electrician this the route I took

C&G 2381 Requirements for Electrical Installations 10 weeks evening classes £160

C&G 2391 Inspection Testing & Verification of Electrical Installations 5 day course full time with Napit at a cost 0f ~£800

Purchased appropriate insurance ~£200
Test kit £600
Joined Napit £500
Passed on site assessment of a large project
Then was able to self certify work as compliant with Part P

My degree did make it a lot easier to understand the design & testing requirements and intepretation of test results

However, after 4 yrs trading as an electrician I am still learning form fora such as this and from other more experienced sparks.

Excellent thanks just what I was looking for, that answered one of my questions, is it worth the effort :)

I'm not looking to set myself up in the profession, I was more thinking of making sure what ever I did was compliant with current regs and being able to sign it off myself but sounds like a lot of effort.

I'll do what I think the path of least resistance is, check the specifics of what I'm doing is within the regs, let building regs know, do the work myself and then get it signed off.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

You dont need to do all that just for Part P compliance from what I can see. Obviously youll need to buy some test kit after but that wont cost much.

e.g: my local college:

http://www.bridgend.ac.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=430&Itemid=152

EAL Certificate for Domestic Electrical Installers (Part P)

Course Code:

ENP145

Course Description:

This course has been developed for those candidates who need to comply with the Part P requirements of the Building Regulations and prove they are competent to carry out the electrical work in dwellings. This qualification will allow candidates to be nominated as a ‘qualified supervisor’ with the Competent Persons Scheme. Registration with such a scheme will enable self-certification of domestic electrical installation work to the requirements of the Building Regulations.

The course content is based on 17 individual units that are assessed by a mix of internal practical and knowledge assessments and an external assessment.

Entry Requirements:

There are no pre-entry requirements for candidates choosing this qualification and no previous knowledge of domestic electrical installation is required for this qualification. Candidates must have the minimum levels of literacy and numeracy to comply with the Health and Safety aspects of the scheme, the completion of the learning outcomes and the external assessment.

Length of Course:

1 year

Days & Times:

Tues 1.00pm – 5.00pm for 15 weeks or

Tues 6.00pm – 8.00pm for 30 weeks

Fees:

15 weeks: £340

30 weeks: £340

Method of Application:

Completion of a Bridgend College Application Form, and an informal discussion with the Course Tutor.

Sponsored Links
If it is only to do your own house and you are confident that you are competent, get the on-site-guide, notify the council of the work and get them to inspect it. from the sound of what you will be doing you need notification anyway so the cost will be minimal. You only need to be registered to do self certification, if you are happy to let the council inspect the work, you just need to be competent

just a query, what does the on site guide contain.if rules and regs are in the 16th edition?

Thanks for all the replies and info, very useful. It is only for my own house, so I'll do what was suggested. Check out what I need to do using the on-site-guide/IEE link, notify the council in advance and I'm happy to get the council to inspect the work.

Great forum!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back