Does Part P Work

If it is Not Part P then the government should be taken to court for saying it is.
It is a government document with Part P written all over it that's good enough for me.

Crikey Eric!
Do you not know the difference between guidance and legislation?

Sponsored Links
Deffo the electrician's responsibility to notify? Good, that lets me off the hook for the two DIY circuits I've added to my house that should have been, but were not, notified.

When it comes to selling, I can say that I can't remember the electrician wot did it (only the pub he used to use) but as it's illegal not to notify I have assumed he's done so. Only 1 or 2% of ordinary persons would keep forms and receipts so I'll be with the majority.

:LOL:

Although some people may not be clued up on Part P, I can assure you the surveyors and lenders are.

When you come to sell, like the majority of people who ignore building regs you will be the looser.

With the lowest charge for any work at £115 in my area no one in their right mind is going to pay the council their adsorbent charges for minor works. So most the DIY stuff remains un-tested as before. In fact it is worse as the commercial electricians no longer can do the odd domestic job to boost their income so there is an acute shortage of electricians willing to do the small job.

Eric

This is the situation I often get. I work as an electician in a commercial environment, and often get colleagues ask me to do work on their properties, usually because they have been quoted high prices from domestic sparks for relatively small jobs (I'm not knocking this BTW, I realise what is involved running a small business)

The problem is it would not be cost effective for me to join a registered scheme so that I can do half a dozen or so weekend jobs per year, as much as I would like to so to supplement my income, it isnt possible unless I contravene the rules

I have to explain to the person about part P and notifying the LABC and the costs involved, which obviously then make the sparks quotes seem cheap in comparison, I then get asked to do the work without the notification, as they know I am a competent spark, and why should they give their hard earned to the council, who already take enough from our pockets as it is

The upshot is some work I can and do do, the unnotifiable stuff, and some work I simply cant. They then go on to ask me for detailed instructions on how to do the install safely, and how much it would cost to pop round and check it is ok when they have done it, others have since told me that they 'just' did it themselves :eek:

So in my mind, this aspect of Part P has in fact encouraged some folk to be worse off when it comes to electrical safety with the DIY'er, and put me in an disapointing situation

[wiki][/wiki]

Sponsored Links
When it comes to selling, I can say that I can't remember the electrician wot did it (only the pub he used to use) but as it's illegal not to notify I have assumed he's done so. Only 1 or 2% of ordinary persons would keep forms and receipts so I'll be with the majority.

:LOL:
Fine.

So you avoid any chance of being held in any way responsible for the breach of the Building Regulations.

But you've still got a property to sell without any completion certificate to confirm that the work complied. Which may not be :LOL: .....

There's a few large DI firms round my way.

Boss is DI registered, his 15+ Eastern / non qualified workers are at best semi skilled. So 95% of all sites get done by staff that work to maybe 75% of the ethic of Part P / 17th.

But no one cares because the sites are notified and are certified as OK. I've done sweep ups and minor works on a few of these jobs and the blatant lies on the test certs, the lack of understanding of bathroom zones and safe cable / correct routes is very, very poor.

But that's OK because.................

Then you should make copies of the certificates, take photo's of the dodgy work and get the owner of the property to report them both to their scheme provider the LABC

And go to the Police and make a statement reporting an offence.

It's fraud - a criminal act, punishable by long prison sentences.

Boss is DI registered, his 15+ Eastern / non qualified workers are at best semi skilled.
How do you know they are all from Essex?

It's not for me to police 3rd parties. I have suggested to some sweep up clients that they may wish to report the matter to the scheme provider.

But in essence 1 x registered DI is allowed to employ as many mates as he wishes to as the qualified supervisor.

Sort of goes against the ethic of self cert, but the methodology isn't illegal even if the standard of work is decidedly iffy and lacking QC and standardisation to 17th.

There's a few bulk / large loft converting firms who apply a similar system. Spark quotes, builders do 1st fix, spark does 2nd fix and cert and shares out the money.

You'd have thought that the scheme providers might query 12 EIC's being completed every month by a one man DI :eek:

It's not for me to police 3rd parties.
Then stop complaining that nobody cares - you're one of that group.

Sort of goes against the ethic of self cert, but the methodology isn't illegal even if the standard of work is decidedly iffy and lacking QC and standardisation to 17th.
No - the methodology isn't illegal, but if the end result is an EIC for work which does not comply then that is.

It seems that my original post has stirred up a hornets nest, and I am pleased to see the forum working properly with good honest argument. However to return to my original point, it seems that compliance with BS or 17th is not required by law, notification under part P is. As many DIY people do not know about part P they can only be brought to book by the LBC who, even if they had the time & inclination, are unlikely to secure a prosecution as it will be very difficult to prove. So, it seems that Part P is not working at present but I think it will eventually, but who knows, Prezzers not in charge any more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back