C studs and plasterboard for noise proofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. All input on this appreciated!

I live in an end terrace. The wall between the main bedroom and next door is one skin of bricks thick and transmits noise so effectively it's hard to believe it wasn't designed to aid communication between the two houses :)

So the plan is to divest the party wall of plaster and put up metal C studs, then screw sound-resistant plasterboard to them, then skim and paint.

I have many questions.

1. Does sound resistant plasterboard actually work? Has anyone used it, and did you bolster it with insulation or anything? Obviously we're talking about a lot of demolition so it would be good if it was worth it.

2. The header C stud will be screwed to the joists in the ceiling, the footer C stud directly to the floorboards. Am I right in thinking the vertical studs don't need to be screwed to the brick wall since they'll be attached to the header and footers?

3. Talk to me about noggins. I'm told metal C studs don't need them.

4. Fire proofing - is this as simple as a run of intumescent sealant along the header stud? Anyone that can offer advice that will help me comply with fire regs/avoid burning the house down will be much appreciated.

If anyone wants to add anything that would be very handy, and if anyone cares to recommend a retailer that sells this stuff that would be great. I've used builditshop before and liked them.

Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back