stud walls - metal or timber? best for sound

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have access to cheap metal partitioning materials but someone has mentioned that timber systems are better at stopping sound transmition.
Does anyone know if this is true.?

I want to stud off a small area of the lounge and break through into the kitchen to form a utility room. this will obviously be next to the lounge and i dont want the noise of the washing machine etc transmitting.

I am thinking 2 layers of Soundblok on each side, possibly with reverberation bars. Question is 50mm metal C stud or timber

Sponsored Links
Metal systems are fine, if you are using resibar too, then you should be good. 2X soundblock is probably overkill, standard 12.5mm will be alright if doubled up, don't forget that sound will travel round corners and through doors so your wall is only as good as it's weakest point.

Only issue I see is if you want to hang heavy cabinets/shelves, but then with the thicker plasterboard I guess you'll be ok.

Don't forget to completely fill the space with mineral wool slabs.

Thanks
I project manage the installation of a hell of a lot of partitioning as part of commercial fit outs, so know a bit, but we always use metal (hence the access to low cost materials). But i dont have any data for timber hence the enquiry.

You are right that soundblok is probalby a bit OTT but the last thing you want when sat down on the sofa with a glass of wine at the end of the day, is a washing machine on spin cycle behind your head the other side of a wall. The extra cost for what is about 12 boards wont be much so may be a good investment.

Will probably insert a small amount of ply in the studs for hanging wall units in the utility side.

Will probably insert a small amount of ply in the studs for hanging wall units in the utility side.

In that case, might as well just substitute one of the layers of plasterboard for a full layer of ply or MDF, either of which will add to the soundproofing.

Sponsored Links
For everyone elses information, i have looked in British Gypsums White Book and it does detail timber stud partitions which i didnt realise. Like for like construction methods, metal stud partitions are better acoustically than timber. So metal it is.[/url]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back