Stud wall, timber or metal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are the pros and cons?

As far as I can find, metal is slight better for noise reduction, quicker than timber, and always straight. But there seems some doubt about hanging stuff of it and I guess by the same token, metal stud rigidity. Does that sum it up? I can't find any bending force spec for C channel (70mm) vs timber (63x38). Is there one?

TIA

Sponsored Links
If you're not planning on fixing shelves or cupboards or whatever to the wall then metal looks like a good bet. A lot of the rigidity of a metal stud wall comes from the fixing together of all the parts- the C sections are very floppy on their own but when linked into channel, braced per manufacturers' specs and clad with plasterboard they make a very adequate wall. Personally I prefer timber but that may be 'cos I'm an old duffer, am comfortable with it and have instinctive knowledge of what load it will take etc.

63 x 38 is a bit skinny for putting any sort of load on (remember the wobbly walls in Prisoner Cell Block H?)

68x38 is standard finished size cls. You get 100mm thick wall, well 102mm I guess as I'm using 15mm plasterboard for better noise reduction. Wikipedia says the 2 horizontal noggins are a good move for stiffness which is not a big increase in wood. I'm not sure how that affects sound transmission, probably a bit worse but it's hard to guess. On the one hand you have a stiffer structure so passes less noise but on the other hand you have more solid paths. Cavity will have sound insulation rockwool in it. I was thinking of going as tick as possible, say 50mm, but after reading this, I might consider 30mm. The link basically says there is little difference between 50mm and 100mm cavity fill. I suspect that you just need some fill to kill the sound transmission, which is why gypsum say 25mm or more in their detail. I'd like to find tests 0/25/50mm rather than 50/100mm in the link.

I've also not been able to find data on gluing on the plasterboard. I've read that having the right number of screws is important. I would have thought brushing on some PVA to the studs (assuming timber) then screwing on the plasterboard would help insure a solid structure.

I'm tempted to stick with timber as I know it. You can hang shelves off timber studs. I'm not convinced that metal performs as well. There seems to be a lot of posts (mostly USA) of people trying to hang TVs off metal stud drywall and having to bolt a load spreader ply board to do this.

Update: I've just looked at British Gypsum white book. For the traditional timber stud, under fixtures (right at the end) it says cisterns, radiators, washbasins can be fixed direct to timber studs. The same section for gypwall classic metal C section says you need plywood. I think it's going to be timber studs.

Last edited:
We prefer timber stud. Old fashioned I guess, but it does have a robustness and a practical flexibility that I would find difficult to replicate with metal.
As you can see, we like to fill out some of our stud voids with ply to provide 'catchers' for things like radiators, shower cubicles etc. The images below show the wall being prepared for some upright rad's. My plumber and electrician love me.:D

Sponsored Links
They (plywood pieces) are fixed with a skew screw into the studs and are further stabilised when the plasterboards are also screwed into them.

Sound insulation you mean?

Sound transmission has 3 paths, air leakage (so seal all holes), transmission plasterboard to cavity air to plasterboard, and plasterboard to timber to plasterboard. Metal C frames have less coupling than timber so make a bit quieter wall. Although I wonder what effect having 2 noggins would have since a 2nd noggin makes the wall stiffer and so I think transmits less noise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back