Strengthen metal stud + plasterboard wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Renovating my en-suite and I wish to add a largish mirror to a wall that will also be tiled. In total though, the weight will slightly exceed the maximum weight for plasterboard i.e. mirror + tiles > 32kg/m sq. As such, i am looking for advice on the best way to strengthen the wall.

I don't yet know the exact size of mirror or its exact location and so I need a slightly flexible solution that will allow me (say) 4-inches of positioning.

Thoughts on options:
1. I can add extra studs by opening-up the wall and I even have a Gypframe Fixing Channel in the garage that would seem perfect for the job. Thing is, i think those channels are normally screwed-in from the front and that will push the PB out by a couple of millimetres!? If so, is there another way of doing it?
2. I suppose another option would be to add a couple of metal studs and somehow attach a piece of plywood between them, but again how is that best done?
3. Just add a couple of extra studs to provide the additional strength required

TIA

Sponsored Links
ok could be miles out here but tiles and a mirror could never ever be as much as 32kg over a square metre as thats perhaps hanging a person off the wall if its flat face with no great overhang there is next to no leverage so should need no or minimal extra timber just normal support

ok could be miles out here but tiles and a mirror could never ever be as much as 32kg over a square metre as thats perhaps hanging a person off the wall if its flat face with no great overhang there is next to no leverage so should need no or minimal extra timber just normal support
On a tiler’s forum there was a sticky comment that suggested 8mm tiles plus adhesive and grout would amount to around 22 kg/m². The mirror itself is aroung 13kg.
Having looked at the weight of boxes of tiles that generally amount to one square metres-worth, it seems about right.

Sponsored Links
you need to remember any large flat structure will spread load and iff well adhered will add to the structure rather than just a dead load so needs a bit off planning as a spread load is is helpful and point load is less helpful

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back