C/U size.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any suggestions for a useful large size CU?Split load.
How many ways req. in a typical 4br house?
What make?
Who will supply fully assembled CU's?
I've researched this topic but haven't come across an answer.

Sponsored Links
Unless you are qualified and competent you shouldn't be attempting a CCU change.
Hire a professional and take his/her advice.

The items on the list below may not all apply to you, but they are worth looking at to get you thinking:

1. Upstairs sockets
  2. Downstairs sockets
  3. Kitchen sockets
  4. Radial for appliances
  5. Cooker circuit
  6. Non-RCD circuit for F/F
  7. Non-RCD circuit for CH boiler
  8. Dedicated circuit for hifi
  9. Dedicated circuit for IT equipment
  10. Upstairs lights
  11. Downstairs lights
  12. Immersion heater
  13. Shower
  14. Alarm
  15. Supply for outside lights
  16. Supply for garden electrics
  17. Supply for shed/garage
Plus any peculiarities brought about by your house layout & construction - e.g. in mine because of solid floors and where the rings run, I have a radial just for a socket in the hall, the doorbell and the porch lights.

Plus a few spares on RCD & non-RCD sides for expansion beyond that for future unforeseen needs.

Sponsored Links
Thank you ban I was beginning to feel left out as the big bad wolf of caution. :evil:

Assuming you choose not to follow Qedelecs advice ;) there are additional considerations if your house uses TT earthing i.e. You will need to swap the main incomer with a 100mA Time Delayed RCD which isn't difficult to do but will add around £60 to the cost.

I personally prefer MK Sentry units like ...

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=102504&ts=11177&id=64020

I think they look nicer (not a consideration if they're hidden away) and they are great to work with.

In terms of the RCD for this unit you can get it (amongst many other places MOD) here ...

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK6980.html

PartP aside, from a safety perspective alone Qedelecs advice is sound and unless you really know what you are doing I'd get someone in to do this as you'll be pulling service fuses and there are many exposed dangerous bits within CU's etc.

Good luck ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back