Going rate for CU change

Well All RCBOs (30mA non delayed or even 10mA perhaps) per circuit (DP off course not single pole).
Limiting circuits to One point per circuit would be near ideal too.
Then backing up each RCBO with an RCD (or at least a 100mA time delayed),
Preferably one per circuit but in banks (split load fashion say) or even as a "front Ender".

Then, let`s ensure that the end user will at least press that bloody test button on each one every three months at least and get the installation tested regularly too.

Mmmm might cost a bit.

"They may say I`m a dreamer, but I`m not the only one!" as a famous scouser once said.

To the OP. Yes I take your point about your concerns.
How can you be sure? How would anyone else , not as clued up as you, be sure?
I do not have the answer and I`m a registered installer!

Sponsored Links
Well All RCBOs (30mA non delayed or even 10mA perhaps) per circuit (DP off course not single pole). Limiting circuits to One point per circuit would be near ideal too. Then backing up each RCBO with an RCD (or at least a 100mA time delayed), Preferably one per circuit but in banks (split load fashion say) or even as a "front Ender". ... Then, let`s ensure that the end user will at least press that bloody test button on each one every three months at least and get the installation tested regularly too.
Mmmm might cost a bit.
Yes, quite a sizeable bit! As I wrote, I reckon that just providing every UK household with two RCDs would cost about £2.5b. To give them all all-RCBO CUs would, even without any 'belt and braces' protection, presumably take the price up to well on the wrong side of £10 billion - and I really can't help but feel that such a sum of money could save far more 'lives and limbs' if thrown at some problems totally unrelated to electrical installations!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Well you are not wrong there John. ;)
The problem with everything like this is that anything to do with, say, electrical safety 'sounds like a good idea', and people can (and will) always wheel out the argument that 'just one life saved justifies any cost'. However, particularly in a world with limited resources, one really needs to be cold, calculating and objective. Even if spending £10 billion on 'improving domestic electrical safety' would save a tiny number of lives and injuries, if the same amount of money would save a lot more lives and injuries if applied elsewhere (e.g. in relation to road safety), then .....!!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back