Going rate for CU change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

Assuming nothing needs rectifying, what would the going rate be for a change of CU, in the South East.

I currently have a MEM CU (not split-load), with 6 ways. I want to change to RCBOs, and allow for a few extra ways (shed radial) and potential extension in x years time, which I'd put on its own circuit.

- What's the best CU to go for
- What certs should I be looking for (Domestic Installer, Approved Contractor, TrustMark etc.)
- The meter tails will need shortening:

- Anything I've missed

Thanks

EDIT: As I exclusively use LED lamps, is there any value is going for lower than 6A for the lighting curcuits? I worked out the other day my whole house is 220W with every light on, and there's 30 lamps!

Sponsored Links
I don't think anything will need rectifying unless you have DC motors or something like that.

Best CU is a can of worms. No doubt if you ask 5 people you'll get 11 different answers. Likely anyway your spark will fit whatever they prefer.

Ask your friends who they hired and if they'd recommend them.

I believe the tails can be shortened fairly easily with a wire cutter. It's when they're not long enough that you want to worry.

I don't think there's massive value in getting a less than 6A breaker, mainly it'll be a pita to find one.

I hear this statement a lot about trades and i struggle to see the value.

Unless your friend actually knows about electrical work, and paid attention to what the spark was doing, they basically have no way of telling wether he did a good job or not.

All they can know is the guy came, did some "stuff" and the new parts appear to work and havent exploded or gone on fire.

It could all be butchered to fk and have been assembled with bargain basement parts and undersize cable, but they'll never know.

I hear this statement a lot about trades and i struggle to see the value.

Unless your friend actually knows about electrical work, and paid attention to what the spark was doing, they basically have no way of telling wether he did a good job or not.

It's certainly not a fool-proof method, I agree. Can you suggest something better?

Sponsored Links
I hear this statement a lot about trades and i struggle to see the value. ... Unless your friend actually knows about electrical work, and paid attention to what the spark was doing, they basically have no way of telling wether he did a good job or not.
That's all very true, but in the absence of real regulation (including 'random audits' of work undertaken), what else is there that Joe Public can rely on?

Qualifications and registrations, let alone 'recommendations' on websites, clearly don't guarantee that work will be done well, or even necessarily satisfactorily. 'Personal recommendations' can at least address issues such as punctuality, tidiness and pleasantness - which, although far from being the most crucial issues, are part of the total package.

How would you suggest that J Public can identify an electrician who is going to do a satisfactory/good job?

Kind Regards, John

I would suggest that an uninformed Joe Public CANNOT identify a good electrician from a bad one, and any attempt to try will simply be leading themselves up the garden path.

As you say, they may form a general idea of some basics of professionalism, character etc, however i'm sure we've all heard of or dealt with cowboys who come across REALLY well, talk the talk, look the part etc.

Theres a slightly amusing exchange that goes on here every time someone asks electrical questions, usually involving comments like "why dont you ask your electrician". Now i can see one side of that, is an attempt to stop folk trying to jump in and DIY stuff thats over their heads, especially as the same old excuses are rolled out ("Hes on holiday and i cant ask him" etc etc). On the other, if you explain to someone how somethings supposed to be done, it goes a long way to allowing them to identify BS coming out the mouth of a so-called professional. Its also multi-faceted, in sofaras some electricians wouldnt like working for someone who knows a little, and is perhaps trying to "tell them how to do their job"

A personal example: A few years ago i moved into a rented property and the electrics were a mess. After some chat with the landlord he got a spark out to sort it. I had a good chat with the guy and he came across really well. He recognised that i new a bit about what was going on, we discussed the supply to the garage/workshop and he said he'd stick in a nice 40A supply to give me the power i needed to run the welder, compressor and other tools i had out there. I got a good feeling about him and was pleased he was doing me a favour with the decent garage supply, when he could have ran a 16A feed out to one socket and one light.

Then when he started work the cracks began to show. To begin with it was small things; the circuits all had loads of spare cable under the floor boards near the CU, so ideal for easy retermination, however he insisted on hauling thru ALL the slack and cutting several meters off each cable before terminating it into the new board. Probably wanted the scrap metal, but ofcourse fks up any future possible changes and means the cables are now all pulled tight under the floor access hatch which makes getting into the crawl space a bloody nightmare. The SWA to the garage he ran along the top of a fence, which isnt really allowed. There was a socket beside the CU which was originally spurred off something stupid, but he forgot about it and ended up taking a spur off the ring main MCB to power it, rather than incorporating it into the ring like it should have been. And most importantly, the downstairs ring failed the insulation resistance check, but "the RCD stayed in so it must be ok". After some conversation he insisted that it was probably just an ariel booster or something that was still plugged in, even though it obviously wasnt. There was also a double stacked RCD, as the garage feed came off an RCD protected way in the house CU. He told me this made it safer, clearly more BS.

Now overall i looked at the end result and it annoyed me as a shoddy job. However to Joe Public, it would be great. They'd never have noticed the issues i picked up on, would be happy with the nice new CU, RCD's everywhere and a decent garage supply.

I would suggest that an uninformed Joe Public CANNOT identify a good electrician from a bad one, and any attempt to try will simply be leading themselves up the garden path. As you say, they may form a general idea of some basics of professionalism, character etc, however i'm sure we've all heard of or dealt with cowboys who come across REALLY well, talk the talk, look the part etc.
Again, all very true, but the fact remains that the general public do have to select tradesmen somehow. I suppose anything (even the 'personal recommendation' thing) is better than taking a pin to the Yellow Pages!

Much of my working life has involved highly regulated environments, with officialdom 'looking over the shoulders' of everyone involved, and with almost everything done being formally checked/audited/verified by at least one other person. In the absence of such a system (a complete pain though it is!), I really don't know what can really give any reassurance that work is being done correctly.

Kind Regards, John

After some conversation he insisted that it was probably just an ariel booster or something that was still plugged in, even though it obviously wasn't.

I hope you pointed out that that was impossible as ariel is washing powder and can't be boosted.

Now an aerial amplifier perhaps.

"There was a socket beside the CU which was originally spurred off something stupid, but he forgot about it and ended up taking a spur off the ring main MCB to power it, rather than incorporating it into the ring like it should have been"

Could you elaborate further on that please. I might have misunderstood you

I hope you pointed out that that was impossible as ariel is washing powder and can't be boosted.

I don't think that's entirely true. First there's the Ariel PowerBall (and I'm pretty sure the ad talks about boosting), where you rub some neat Ariel over the stain, using the PowerBall and place the rest in with the load. There also Vanish Stain Remover, which augments your usual washing powder (or boosts it). I suppose you could also argue that using the pre-wash feature of most washing machines is kind of boosting the output too.

Best CU is a can of worms.

Is there not a common best though, like Worcester Bosch and Vaillant in the boiler world?

I'd rather pay £100 for the best CU, than £50 for some lesser brand. If the best CU was a million billion pounds, then that's a different story!

I'd rather pay £100 for the best CU, than £50 for some lesser brand. !
Higher price does not necessarily mean better quality

like Worcester Bosch and Vaillant in the boiler world?
They are good but not Calsberg ( as in beer advert ) Some of the lesser known makers do produce equally good or better quality boilers and some times at a lower price.

I think the consensus on this forum is that hager are a brand that most electricians are happy to install.

"There was a socket beside the CU which was originally spurred off something stupid, but he forgot about it and ended up taking a spur off the ring main MCB to power it, rather than incorporating it into the ring like it should have been"

Could you elaborate further on that please. I might have misunderstood you

Well given there was plenty of cable, he should have taken one leg of the ring into the socket, and then gone from there to the CU, thus incorporating said socket into the ring.

Instead, he terminated both ring cables into the MCB, then ran a third cable to the socket.

Its not technically incorrect, but its crappy design and sloppy workmanship for sure.

Lots of folk here seem to like Hager, but i cant get past the fact that their domestic stuff looks SO ugly. They look worse than some of the no-brand cheapey chinese crap.

I bought a Merlin Gerin board for my place, looks like a really well made piece of kit, and they seem to have a decent reputation for making good kit.

Well no mate.
I will disagree with you on that one.
Being "on the ring" as opposed to being a spur direct from the origin of the ring has no significant advantages.
What I do like to see in any circuit drawing more than an Amp or two is robust connections (being both mechanically and electrically strong).

Take a bog standard ring final circuit.

Besides tightness of connections a termination should be capable of passing maximum current (minimum resistance) .

In an ideal world the conductor should fill the hole making maximum contact over its surface area.

Doubling (or quadrupling) conductors in order to near to filling the hole (termination) should be the order of the day.

One single/twin socket near to the origin of the circuit would not have any benefits/disadvantages whether ringed or spurred (radial).

Can you give me a reason why ringing or spurring is better or worse in this application?

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back