C24 4x2 deck joist size query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,
I'm building a Balau hardwood deck 3.65m x 4m over existing traditional paving slab patio, using adjustable feet to level the subframe.
I only have max 145mm under rear bi-fold door sill so was looking at using C24 4x2 decking joists, with 10 further joists inside the outer frame (roughly 350mm centres and plenty of noggins).

Would c24 4x2 joists be ok and not at risk of any bouncing?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I recently completed a sub base for my new shed measuring 6m x 3m (20' x 10').
I used C24 4" x 2" and put a 20' span along the centre line. I then hung 4 x 2 joists between the outer frame and the centre joist. It is rock solid without the need for noggins.

IMG_0327.JPG

Although this end looks close to the ground the whole frame is supported on '3" x 3" 'stilts' with a gap of around 12" at the far end.

It's fine, just need plenty of support / legs.

No need for noggins really, the deck boards once screwed down will stop any sideways flex.

Others may say I'm wrong, but I've done 3 deckings without them and it's been fine nice and solid with no bounce.

I've just done a 3 meter long decking , screwed 4x2 to the wall just under the door sills, then lengths out from there. As I'm so close to the ground and had paving slabs underneath, I just cut up short lengths of 4x2 and used them for legs to get the levels right

Thanks for those responses, advice is much appreciated.
My boards are going parallel to the house line ( so orientation will be 90 degrees to the one in conny's picture). Would people recommend three full length pieces parallel to the house at 1m, 2m and 3m points (outer frame pieces being adjacent to house and 4m) with then 1m perpendicular infill pieces at regular intervals, though would have to overlap ends so that deck board screw holes were all in line....
Or....
Approx 8 full length pieces 90 degrees to house (which would allow in line deck screwing) and then infill pieces as required....say 400-450mm centres?
TIA

Sponsored Links
Go 400 or 500 centres, 450 means you will have to make twice as many cuts and its a pain

Thanks sxturbo....good thought! Did you think my second suggestion of approx 8 full length pieces at 90 degrees was more appropriate?
Cheers

Thanks sxturbo....good thought! Did you think my second suggestion of approx 8 full length pieces at 90 degrees was more appropriate?
Cheers

Yes that's fine basically what I done

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back