Cabinet (concealed) hinges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

What drill bit is used to make the round cut out for the hinge to sit into on the door itself.

I've fitted out my shed with custom stuff and when looking at hinges decided on face-mounted (but still recessed) butt style because I couldn't find what I needed to make the hole!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can use a Fostner bit, if you have one the right size and preferably a drill press. But the ones I use have wings at 90 deg. to the cutters, these stop any wander and allow the use of a hand held drill...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
Is TCT so much better than steel? £13 for 1 vs. £35 for 16 would suggest so! Is a DIY'er likely to need a set of 16 vs. 1 (or 2 if you include the 26mm version).

Is that of the 'winged' variety foxhole?

If your creating the holes in melamine faced chipboard or MDF, then the wear rate of the cutting edges is high. If you tend to do a lot of either of these go for the TCT variety, if on the other hand your likely to use only for the one or two jobs throughout it's life, HSS or tool steel will serve well. Be aware that a sharp bit will drill the hole quite smoothly, whilst a blunt (even slightly) will tend to grab and requires a bit of force to drill with. That said, once you gain experience these are quite easy to do, it's wander at the start of drilling that's the problem...pinenot :)

Is TCT so much better than steel? £13 for 1 vs. £35 for 16 would suggest so! Is a DIY'er likely to need a set of 16 vs. 1 (or 2 if you include the 26mm version).

Is that of the 'winged' variety foxhole?
The hinge cutter is designed just for one job which makes it quick and easy, can be done free hand with ease , will last for 100's of cuts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back