cabinet making

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am looking to build a cabinet for my aquarium, I want to build it from timber and not mdf or chipboard because of the affect both have when the come into contact with water. What is the best timber to buy to build the cabinet that is ready available at local diy stores/timber yard? also that is easy enough to work with?

Sponsored Links
am i right in thinking though if i use ply i will not get a good finish on the edges? also pine board i havent seen this in the diy store ?

am i right in thinking though if i use ply i will not get a good finish on the edges? also pine board i havent seen this in the diy store ?
Yes, although plywood is normally lipped with matching thin hardwood lippings thin hardwood lippings a few millimetres wider than the plywood is thick and glued to the edges. These generally need a router and trim bit to flush off (it can be done with a sharp low angle block plane, but it takes extreme care not to nick the surface plys or veneers). An alternative is to iron-on (pre-glued) matching hardwood edge banding tape, although this too requires the appropriate tools to trim back. Solid pine board can be obtained in various sized and thicknesses from about 12mm up to 40mm or so. It is laminated-up from strips of narrower pine boards and was originally developed for the mass market pine furniture trade where it is ideas for routed headboards, etc.

The supplier links are meant only to be representative of what is available in the market - note that many of these products are not available through DIY outlets although good quality timber yards should be aware of them and be able to get them in to order

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
ok looks like i will probably go with pine board i will head on down to the timber yard tomorrow. and will get some ordered in if they dont have any. i plan on routing a nice patten in the middle of my cabinet doors, are there any tips for this kind of work? i have routed edges on to mdf board before but never timber an never on to a cabinet door.

There are specific cutters made for routing panel designs into solid wood, such as these by Wealden Tool. All you do is make-up an MDF.plywood template in the shape you require and then follow round the inside of the template using the bearing on the cutter. There's a description of how they work here

18mm pine board is available at the DIY sheds. Make sure it is framed securely, if not secured ut bows with damp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back