Bespoke kitchen cabinet - advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to make a none standard size kitchen cabinet in a utility room.
Asking a few kitchen places has resulted in rather large quotes (even made of chipboard) so one place suggested I try and make it myself using cabinet plywood. Its also a corner cabinet which makes it more tricky. I am thinking of the Face Frame style of cabinet.

Can anyone offer any advice on how I could approach this please?

If I know how to go about sizing the wood I could get it measured and cut at the local timber yard and then assemble it. I could get the doors from a kitchen place but these would have to be bespoke made due to the size.

Thanks

Ant

Sponsored Links
would a unit with a frame fit in!!!

i would buy the cabinet cut down to size with a shelve cut to fill in the gap on the cabinet between the door and the cabinet side
all depends on what exactly is involved

but adapting standard components will usualy look best as it will fit in if properly though out and carefully done ;)

Hi

The size I would like to fill is approx. 106cm x 106cm. I realise I could fill in with panels to a degree but standard cabinets of 600 are not sufficient.

So, given the sizes above, a floor standing corner cabinet needs to be fitted somehow. I did explore cutting down existing but its more of a case of expanding. I am also unhappy at using formica and would rather use ply with a pine doorframe possibly?

I guess I could do with a plan of some sort to work from.

Thanks

An

Pop into a kitchen show room that has 900x900 corner cabs in their range, this will give you an idea of how they are made.

You just need two sides, two "L" shaped top/bottoms and an "L" shaped shelf thats about 2/3 the depth of the base. And some thinner ply to use for the backs.

A hardwood will be better for the faceframe unless you can get decent quality unsorted redwood, I tend to use beech for kitchens as it resists knocks and tulipwood for bedrooms etc..

For the carcase use Birch throughout plywood, probably Latvian as Finnish birch ply is hard to get hold. This ply have a good surface that can be painted or varnished and will have no voids so will give a strong cabinet.

You will also need to decide if you want two separately hung doors, one with a corner post fixed to it or if you want to have a piano hinge so the doors fold back onto each other at one side.

Jason

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back