Cable and Polystyrene, but Cable and PVC?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Removed a moulded consumer unit recently and found many of the cables attached to the plastic enclosure. No overheating at all, just seems like a chemical reaction. Cables were OK, but stuck well!

Hoping image is the right way around, it is on my phone, but often uploads incorrectly due to Apples rotation meta tags.
1450525610.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Enclosure made of polystyrene? I've seen this when flexes have been wrapped around plastic appliances and then stored for a long time.

You would hope a consumer unit wouldn't be made of anything that can affect cables :-/

Sponsored Links
I took a wooden one out the other day if anyone wants it :sneaky: Was a 6 way beaut too. Make me an offer :rolleyes:

Unless it's ancient, the plastic enclosure should have markings on it to identify the type of plastic, usually a number inside a triangle of arrows. 6 would be polystyrene.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back