Cable behind coving...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved into a property which needed a fair amount of cosmetic work. In the process of doing this I have found that the downlighters in the hall have been wired as follows:

1.5mm2 cable run through the ceiling from the light point to the wall then back down through the ceiling. It then goes accross the joists using the void behind the coving as a conduit.

Is this acceptable Or should it be run in plastic conduit? I only had to remove a small section of coving to repair the area but if needs be I will rip the lot down and get the job done properly:)

Thanks

Matt

Sponsored Links
its not good practice, at least you found the cables the safe way

As long as the coving extends no more then 150mm from the top of the wall, then I do not beleive it breaks any regulations, there are probably 'nicer' ways the job could have been done, but sometimes needs must, etc

Cheers for the replys guys...

Is there any other preferable method of running the cable other than taking the floor up upstairs and drilling holes through joists?

Sponsored Links
Leave it as is - it's fine. Not ideal, but must have been the easiest way at the time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back