Cable concealment ideas.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking or a good looking method of concealing t&e cable running up to socket outlet.
The cable is on a stone wall and the customer was originally going to plaster the wall, but now the floors has been laid and laminated they have decided to not plaster, but to leave the wall exposed. Leaving it looking quite ugly with cable showing. There is not enough slack to rake out pointing and try tuck the cable into pointing gaps and re-point. The customer has expressed that a polished chrome finish would be acceptable as a method of concealment. So anyone come across anything like this or an ideas? I never seen any capping, I am sure there will be conduit about but never had to use or source it in polished chrome/stainless steel.

Sponsored Links
Pyro :)

You can get chrome/chrome effect sleeves for radiator pipes, usually only up to 200 mm long.

Or just make up the conduit assembly in steel and take it along to a motorbike custom shop to get chromed. Then slide it over the T&E.

whssign.gif
whssign.gif
whssign.gif
whssign.gif

Or just make up the conduit assembly in steel and take it along to a motorbike custom shop to get chromed. Then slide it over the T&E.
If there's not enough slack to stuff the cable into mortar joints (just as well, IMO), there's probably not enough to put it in conduit.

Sponsored Links
YT2? :rolleyes:
I suppose some form of decorative trunking is your best option, not that I've seen a really nice one to date

I know you said that cable is already in place, but any way of rerouting a cable on the opposite side of the wall and then straight through?

I know you said that cable is already in place, but any way of rerouting a cable on the opposite side of the wall and then straight through?
No the customer has had the floors completely laminated and skirting down, before they considered talking to me about this sockets outlet and before thinking to inform me that the wall was no longer to be plastered! If I had known, I could have got it in from reverse wall!

Not ideal but you can get 3 metre chrome pole for kitchen legs in places like b + q, perhaps you could use it to oversleave plastic conduit.
Sometimes just normal black conduit and metal boxes looks ok on stone wall.
We used to get shiny stainless conduit for kitchen work years ago, but not cheap

No the customer has had the floors completely laminated and skirting down, before they considered talking to me about this sockets outlet and before thinking to inform me that the wall was no longer to be plastered!
Then they put up with it as it is, have some naff trunking or tube slid over it, or bite the bullet and have some of that work undone and redone, and treat it as a salutary lesson on the importance of planning ahead.

Then they put up with it as it is, have some naff trunking or tube slid over it, or bite the bullet and have some of that work undone and redone, and treat it as a salutary lesson on the importance of planning ahead.
Regrettably that is not an option or I would!
If everything had been left on this job, that had not been planned correctly or even overlooked at various stages of construction there would be a whole host of lessons for the architect, client and main contractor to ponder over.
It is really as much a problem created by the non-existing communication between client-architect and contractor. And the fact none of them have passed any alterations/amendments to me.
I have just been passing the problem back to the main contractor as they are supply the materials required and my additional labour fees.
I just know they will ask me what the best solution/product is to use to make it aesthetically pleasing and client likes shiny stuff.

Just a thought but whatever the customer is going to plug into the socket may be covered by a piece of furniture, so as long as they agree you could wire the socket into the piece of furniture and the wires would be hidden from view.
I'm not sure if that is legal but it might be an option .

Mike

That's not going to happen!
They are using the wall as a feature wall, so I doubt very much that it will have any obstruction in front of it.
I just intend to conceal it in some aesthetically pleasing conduit/capping.

Last edited:
I just intend to conceal it in some aseptically pleasing conduit/capping.
Since I'm the last person who is really in a position to criticise typos, I usually don't (unless they have the capacity to confuse or mislead) ... but, on this occasion I feel I ought to make some comment :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back