Cable defective?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some 10mm twin and earth for my shower. When wiring it up to the shower, switch etc I found that the grey sheath is mostly fused to the sheaths of the conductors making it impossible to remove completely. Is this normal and if so whats the technique for stripping it, or have I bought from a dodgy batch and should get it replaced?

Sponsored Links
Not normal - it's been manufactured wrongly. Either insufficient quantities of release agent, or the cable insulation & sheath was applied at the wrong temperature, or the plastic used is the wrong type.

Take it back and get new cable.

I've had this with some 1.5mm 6242Y.

I'm not sure of the brand, but I think it might have been prysimian.

Bl00dy annoying. :evil:

A shower is notifiable work, you're breaking the law if it's not certified either by a registered competent person or via inspections by your council buildings people. It's a law broken every day and not really enforced, but you might kill yourself or someone else and it'll be a hassle when you sell the house unless you lie about it.

That said, the outer sheath of the cable shouldn't be 'fused' to the inner cores. It can be on tight enough to perhaps give the impression of being fused to someone applying the force of a little girl. Should peel off intact with a modicum of effort. Photo?

Sponsored Links
A shower is notifiable work, you're breaking the law if it's not certified either by a registered competent person or via inspections by your council buildings people. It's a law broken every day and not really enforced, but you might kill yourself or someone else and it'll be a hassle when you sell the house unless you lie about it.

That absolutely correct

That said, the outer sheath of the cable shouldn't be 'fused' to the inner cores. It can be on tight enough to perhaps give the impression of being fused to someone applying the force of a little girl. Should peel off intact with a modicum of effort. Photo?

No it def fused. I even tried pulling a bit away with a pliers and it ripped with much of it still stuck to the inner sheaths.
I'll return it tomorrow.

I think it might have been prysimian.

I've had a roll of 2.5mm by them, that was the same! After a small bottom seeing moment, the rest went straight in the bin :!:
I always check the first few inches of any of there rolls now :!:

BASEC's Advice.

http://www.basec.org.uk/News/BASEC-News/Return-Unstrippable-Cable

I always buy prysmian now and not found any problems with it stripping, Edmundson's will soon get it back if i do!

Went back to TLC today to ask if I can get it replaced. Manager was not around so will ring me on monday. But the serving girl says it shouldnt be a problem to replace it. Ive removed the cable ready, fortunately ceilings hadnt been put up yet and where its channeled in the walls I only had dabs of plaster holding it in place so not too much hassle removing it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back