Cable for light in shed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was planning on buying a bit of 1.5mm flat grey cable to run from a 13A Fused switched Spur (changed the fuse for 3A)

Its just got to power one 10w Led Lamp in the shed. Is this the correct cable? The light doesn't appear to have an earth connection on it so do I just run 2 core cable from the switch to the light?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No on all accounts. Flat twin and earth is not suitable for outside. You cannot not use 2 core cable as someone may change the light. 1.5mm cable is oversized for lighting, 1.0mm is the correct size.

Flat twin and earth is not suitable for outside.

I initially mis-read the OP in the same way winston. After reading his other thread, this is not the supply to the shed, he has already done SWA, this is only within the shed.

So, OP, yes, you can use twin and earth. But as winston says, you can't use 2 core cable.

I initially mis-read the OP in the same way winston. After reading his other thread, this is not the supply to the shed, he has already done SWA, this is only within the shed.

So, OP, yes, you can use twin and earth. But as winston says, you can't use 2 core cable.

Yes correct its within the shed. Is the earth wire supposed to be earthed to the body of the lamp then or is it snipped off and not used? I ask as there isn't any where to fix it to that I can see.

Sponsored Links
No on all accounts. Flat twin and earth is not suitable for outside. You cannot not use 2 core cable as someone may change the light. 1.5mm cable is oversized for lighting, 1.0mm is the correct size.

Thanks for correcting me on the size of cable and it's within the shed. Should have made it clearer.

earth wire supposed to be earthed to the body of the lamp then or is it snipped off and not used?

If the lamp is plastic or double insulated(has a square in a square symbol), then you don't connect the earth, but it must be spare for future use, so don't snip it off short. Put some green/yellow sleeving on it, a single connector block on the end and park it safely inside with the other terminals.

If the lamp is plastic or double insulated(has a square in a square symbol), then you don't connect the earth, but it must be spare for future use, so don't snip it off short. Put some green/yellow sleeving on it, a single connector block on the end and park it safely inside with the other terminals.

Great, thanks for your help it's much appreciated.

Thanks for correcting me on the size of cable
It's one of Winston's obsessions which (sadly) he regularly inflicts upon us.

1.5mm² is more versatile than 1mm², harder to break when tightening terminal screws and will fit the terminals of switches etc with no problems at all.

Despite anything he might want you to believe, you would not be wrong to buy it.

Give it a rest, Winston - you are tedious beyond belief.

And even when you try to quote a thread which you think supports your obsession you fail to notice that it contains posts which also make the point that 1.5mm² is more versatile than 1mm² and more robust.

Give it a rest, Winston - you are tedious beyond belief.

Not at all. Just trying to help the OP from wasting money unnecessarily.

And even when you try to quote a thread which you think supports your obsession you fail to notice that it contains posts which also make the point that 1.5mm² is more versatile than 1mm² and more robust.

Not an obsession. Virtually all the posts said 1.5 mm was unnecessary. Except perhaps for very long feeds.

As usual you are arguing for the sake of it when you are clearly wrong.

As usual you are arguing for the sake of it when you are clearly wrong.

How much hands on experience do you have of installing electrical systems ?. As one poster in the IET forum said sometimes it is cheaper to use 1.5mm² due to the cost of purchasing a small quantity of 1 mm² ( did you miss it ? ).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back