Lighting my shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an old outdoor toilet in my back garden which the previous owner of the house ran what looks like 2.5mm SWA cable to.

The cable is currently connected to a bog standard socket in the shed (which doesn't seem particularly great as it does get very damp in there) and is wired into a fused spur into the kitchen (the same one that runs the outside light).

I'm using the shed to store tools in now so would like to fit a light in there instead.

What I need to know is:

- Can I (legally) use this cable to run a light? I would, of course, ensure that the spur in the kitchen is fused suitably (probably a 3A would be enough for the outside light and one light bulb in the shed).
- Can I get waterproof light fittings and switches (the shed WILL leak)?
- Is what I am proposing to do notifiable?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Good point. Think it will need a new roof to start with.

And if I do that I could just plug the lights in... :D

Ok, I'll rethink. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
You might want to check the voltage drop is less than 6.9 V for lighting. For 2.5mm² copper you can expect 18 mV/A/m. Use the existing fuse rating and length of cable. If the voltage drop (18 x fuse rating x length) is more than 6900 mV, you might reduce the fuse rating. (e.g. max 29 m for 13A fuse.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back