Cable ID

Sponsored Links
What if the hob develops a fault?
Well, ideally one would obviously have separate means of isolation for each - but it was you who introduced the concept of a dual outlet plate, which necessarily means that (without additional switches), at least one of the appliances could not be independently isolated.

With an FCU or (suitable) switch for the oven fed from the supply side of main cooker switch, oven and hob could both be isolated independently.

Kind Regards, John

Well, ideally one would obviously have separate means of isolation for each
It's not necessary.

- but it was you who introduced the concept of a dual outlet plate,
Yes but because it was/is preferable to two cables from the switch.

which necessarily means that (without additional switches), at least one of the appliances could not be independently isolated.
That was not (seems to be now) the criterion.

With an FCU or (suitable) switch for the oven fed from the supply side of main cooker switch, oven and hob could both be isolated independently.
Lots of things could be done - it depends what you want.

Sponsored Links
Well, ideally one would obviously have separate means of isolation for each
It's not necessary.
It's obviously 'not necessary' if one is prepared to disconnect the cable to one appliance, so that one can continue using the other appliance, if the first one develops a fault which causes a protective device to operate (even when the appliance is 'off'). If one doesn't want to have to do that, a DP switch might be regarded as more 'convenient' (albeit we're talking about a very uncommon situation).

Kind Regards, John

On a side issue, was it standard practice in the 70's NOT to sleeve the earth wire in sockets and switches? Not one of the switches/sockets that I've looked at have the earth wires sleeved nor are they connected in any way to the metal pattress boxes!

Can't speak for the 70's I wasn't even alive. But so long as the box has one fixed lug, it's perfectly acceptable to earth it via the faceplate screws

On a side issue, was it standard practice in the 70's NOT to sleeve the earth wire in sockets and switches? Not one of the switches/sockets that I've looked at have the earth wires sleeved nor are they connected in any way to the metal pattress boxes!
I'm not sure of the timescales, but there are plenty of unsleeved earth wires and back boxes without explicit earth connections, other than via faceplate screws (in the case of sockets or metal switches) still out there. Mind you, green sleeving on earth wires was around in the 60s, probably earlier, so I don't know how common the bare earth wires were. Bare earth wires doubled back out of a JB and twisted together behind it was once a very common practice. I'm not sure how what you describe would have worked with plastic switches etc., which often/usually don't have an earth terminal (even today). If there was an earth wire in the cable (far from inevitable back then!) and it wasn't (couldn't be!) connected to the switch plate, I'm not sure what could have been done with it other than terminating it in the backbox terminal!

Kind Regards, John

Bare earth wires doubled back out of a JB and twisted together behind it was once a very common practice
Funny you should mention that, the last house we lived in before this, all the junction boxes had bare earth wires wrapped around them and twisted together. I never felt quite happy about it but as it was rented I left them alone.

Can't speak for the 70's I wasn't even alive. But so long as the box has one fixed lug, it's perfectly acceptable to earth it via the faceplate screws
Only if the faceplate screws are conductive and not made of nylon or other non conductive material.

Only if the faceplate screws are conductive and not made of nylon or other non conductive material.
... and, as I said, in the case of a light switch etc., obviously only if the faceplate is metal or otehrwise has an earth terminal which is connected to the faceplate screw rivets/eyelets.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back