Confirm size of cable please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

hopefully a quick question for you all.

ok my oven supply is 10mm cable.

I currently only have one double oven that is rated at 4.2kw. I’m looking at replacing with two single ovens and a induction hob to an island. New ovens are 3.2kw each and hob is 7.4kw. Breaker had been upgraded to 50a.

I have purchased the dual appliance outlet so 10mm into the top and then connect the two ovens to each of the dual outlets.

two questions. Firstly can I use 2.5mm flex cable on each oven and secondly can I connect a 6mm supply cable to the same dual outlet plate to supply the island and add additional dual outlet plate to Island to supply induction hob.

I have asked something similar before but just want clarification on cable sizes and if this is acceptable.

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
2.5mm² on a 50A circuit breaker is dubious.
Replacing it with a 32A and using 4mm² flex for the ovens would be a much better option.
6mmÞ to the hob is ok, assuming you can get the 6mm² into the dual outlet plate with everything else.

2.5mm² on a 50A circuit breaker is dubious.
Replacing it with a 32A and using 4mm² flex for the ovens would be a much better option.
6mmÞ to the hob is ok, assuming you can get the 6mm² into the dual outlet plate with everything else.
Breaker only just been upgraded, so could I use 4mm flex for the two single ovens and 6mm to the induction hob as you suggest if I can get them in the dual outlet. What would be the reason I could not use 2.5mm flex for each oven out of interest.

2.5mm² is rated to about 26A, so there is no overload protection from a 50A circuit breaker.
It can be used if there is no possibility of overload, which is true for some devices but not others.
A 32A circuit breaker will provide short circuit protection for 2.5mm² in most cases, but a 50A may not.

Breaker only just been upgraded
A hob and two single ovens do not require a 50A circuit.

Sponsored Links
2.5mm² is rated to about 26A, so there is no overload protection from a 50A circuit breaker.
It can be used if there is no possibility of overload, which is true for some devices but not others.
A 32A circuit breaker will provide short circuit protection for 2.5mm² in most cases, but a 50A may not.

A hob and two single ovens do not require a 50A circuit.
Thanks for that, totally makes sense. The only reason the breaker was upgraded was even with diversity and with the induction hob and both ovens going I was near 31amps.

13,800W ÷ 240V = 57.5A

Diversity:
47.5 x 0.3 = 14.25 + 10 = 24.25A
(+ 5A if there is a socket on cooker switch)
So 29.25 amps. So near 31 amps as you said. But 31 amps is still less than 32 so why did you upgrade, sorry change?

So 29.25 amps. So near 31 amps as you said. But 31 amps is still less than 32 so why did you upgrade, sorry change?
Because knowing my wife, she will be having everything on at Xmas and the last thing I wanted was to ruin Xmas. Lollll

Because knowing my wife, she will be having everything on at Xmas and the last thing I wanted was to ruin Xmas. Lollll
I agree...
Diversity is a very much overrated thing, it often gets applied in commercial kitchens with silly results.

But it will still be cycling on and off. The people who did the diversity rules have wives as well!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back