Dual cable outlet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently the oven is fed from 13A switch fuse to a cable outlet plate. I'm moving the hob to be over the oven. This is gas but needs mains for the sparker. Firstly is there any issue with hooking into the oven circuit? I can't find a rating for the hob but imagine it will be a tiny draw. Where can I get a dual 13A cable outlet? I can find lots of 6mm dual outlets but that seems a little heavy duty for 13a flex.

Sponsored Links
The gas hob will only require an input current for ignitions and maybe any electronic controls, so suspect less than 1A.
Not come across a purposely made dual FCU outlet.
I would first read through the manufacturer's instructions for the gas hob, as it may state a fuse rating less than that of the 13A the oven is connected to, so you would then need to make provisions for that.

Maybe a double socket is the answer to allow a small fuse for the hob.
If the oven once had a plug this is probably the answer.

Or you could probably get 2 cables into a single cooker outlet, that would fit well.

Problem being the oven maybe in excess of 2kW therefore should be on an FCU, some improvisation maybe needed, such as a second FCU or a socket for hob only.

Sponsored Links
Problem being the oven maybe in excess of 2kW therefore should be on an FCU ...
Why do you say that? There are plenty of ovens, some over 2kW, which come with plugs fitted.

However, I wouldn't advocate using a plug for the oven, anyway. As I see it, the only real issue is the size of the cable going to the hob. If it is of high enough csa to be adequately protected by a 13A fuse, then it surely could just be connected to a double outlet plate fed (as per the current single one) from the existing FCU? ... or am I missing something?

Kind Regards, John

Problem being the oven maybe in excess of 2kW therefore should be on an FCU, some improvisation maybe needed, such as a second FCU or a socket for hob only.

There is no rule to that effect. My kettle is over 2kW and has a plug fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back