Oven and hob cable sizing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hoping someone can help with the following cooker/hob wiring query as I've searched the forum and can't find a definitive answer on whether I can supply multiple appliances from a single cooker circuit without installing an additional consumer unit in the kitchen.

First some background.....

When we bought this house it came with an eye-level double electric oven and a separate electric hob both running off a single radial circuit with a cooker switch (CCU with no socket) above the worktop. The circuit is protected by a 45A MCB on the non-RCD side of the consumer unit. The oven is located two kitchen units away from the hob.

A couple of years ago I replaced the double oven with a newer smaller model that is rated at up to 3950W. I noticed then that the cable supplying the old oven was 10mm2 T+E and I used the same cable for the new oven.

This weekend I upgraded our hob to an induction one with a max power rating of 7400W. The old hob had a flexible 3-core cable that connected to a 4mm2 T+E supply cable via a junction box mounted in the cupboard below the hob. When I installed the new induction hob, I replaced this junction box with Wago connectors and a Wago box.

The new hob came with a flexible cable (see attached photo) that has 5-cores (2xL, 2xN, 1xE) and for a single phase supply you just join the lives and neutrals together at the supply end (as shown at https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/wiring-up-induction-hob.533200/). It has an external diameter of approx 10mm. I'm assuming this cable is rated at 32A.

Initially the hob refused to power up and (long story short) I discovered that the supply voltage to the hob was only measuring 115V. I then pulled the oven out of its cabinet and found that by waggling the 10mm2 supply cable to the oven I could make the voltage at the hob jump up to 230V or down to zero. Clearly a loose connection or a short somewhere....

So I traced the 4mm hob cable and the 10mm oven cable back to see where they were fed from, expecting to find a cooker plate behind one of the kitchen units. Instead I found a flush mount back box buried in the wall and in that (with no cover on it) a big lump of terminal block wrapped up in insulating tape. See attached photo. The terminal block had a 10mm feed from the CCU going into it and then the 4mm and 10mm cables for the hob and oven. At least one of the terminals was quite loose.

As a temporary solution, I have ripped out the buried 10mm cable to the oven (see attached photo) and replaced it with unburied 2.5mm T+E - which means that (after much swearing) I've been able to get everything to fit securely into the terminal block. But I now want to fix it properly.

My plan is to get a double cooker plate (https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AA45DCOP.html) and fit that where the open back box is. This will be fed with the 10mm cable from the CCU. I'll run a 4mm2 T+E cable from the plate to the oven. And the hob will either be wired directly into the cooker plate using the flexible cable that came with it (if long enough) or I'll keep the existing arrangement of using 4mm2 T+E from the cooker plate and joining that to the hob's flex with WAGOs.

So my questions are:

1. If I do the above, is it still ok to use a 45A MCB? I'm thinking not, because the 4mm cables to the hob and oven will only be rated to 37A. And I don't really want to change to a 32A MCB because of (3) below.

2. So I could use 6mm T+E from the cooker plate to the oven and the hob instead. And that makes the 45A MCB ok because 6mm cable is rated at 47A. But what happens about the fact that the flex on the hob (and its internal wiring?) is probably only rated to 32A? Ditto the internal wiring of the oven. Does that matter? I've seen conflicting views on the forum.

3. If at a later date I decide to replace the current double oven with two singles (rated at 3,600W each) I believe that will be fine in terms of total load on the cooker circuit as I'll have hob (7400W) + 2 x cookers (7200W) = 14,600. That's 63.5A at 230V and using the diversity calculation gives 26.05A which is well below the 45A rating of the MCB and the buried 10mm2 supply cable. But how would I wire in the second oven? Does anyone make a 3-way cooker plate?

4. Should I - either now for my one oven and one hob, or at a later date when I upgrade to two ovens and one hob - be looking to use a small 2 or 3 way consumer unit (eg https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKY5704SMET.html) somewhere below the worktop so as I can have individual 32A and 16A MCBs for the hob and oven(s)?

I know one solution would be to install separate radials for the hob and the oven(s) but at the moment I'd very much prefer to keep everything on one circuit, especially as the existing 10mm2 cable is easily capable of supplying everything.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 12.37.28.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 12.37.28.png
    777 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 12.36.59.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 12.36.59.png
    814.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 12.47.19.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 12.47.19.png
    752.8 KB · Views: 44
Sponsored Links
Everything is hugely oversized. 10mm² T&E is rated (method C - clipped or buried in masonry) at 64A

A 32A 4mm² (method C) circuit would have been sufficient for supplying all your appliances.

So, fit a double outlet plate and connect the hob to one with 4mm² flex and

the two ovens to the other, each with 2.5mm² flex.

Everything is hugely oversized. 10mm² T&E is rated (method C - clipped or buried in masonry) at 64A

A 32A 4mm² (method C) circuit would have been sufficient for supplying all your appliances.

So, fit a double outlet plate and connect the hob to one with 4mm² flex and

the two ovens to the other, each with 2.5mm² flex.

Yes, I agree 10mm² is overkill but equally I'm not inclined to rip it out and replace it. ;)

If I use the double outlet plate and 4mm²/2.5mm² cables as you suggest, what happens about the fact that those cables are then being protected by a 45A MCB when their current carrying capacity is much lower than that?

If I use the double outlet plate and 4mm²/2.5mm² cables as you suggest, what happens about the fact that those cables are then being protected by a 45A MCB when their current carrying capacity is much lower than that?
Cooking appliances are 'unlikely' to cause an overload and the internal wiring will be a lot smaller than that.

433.3 Omission of devices for protection against overload
This regulation shall not be applied to installations situated in locations presenting a fire risk or risk of explosion or
where the requirements for special installations and locations specify different conditions.
433.3.1 General
A device for protection against overload need not be provided:
(i) for a conductor situated on the load side of the point where a reduction occurs in the value of currentcarrying capacity, where the conductor is effectively protected against overload by a protective device
installed on the supply side of that point

(ii) for a conductor which, because of the characteristics of the load or the supply, is not likely to carry overload
current, provided that the conductor is protected against fault current in accordance with the requirements
of Section 434

(iii) at the origin of an installation where the distributor provides an overload device and agrees that it affords
protection to the part of the installation between the origin and the main distribution point of the installation
where further overload protection is provided.

Sponsored Links
Cooking appliances are 'unlikely' to cause an overload and the internal wiring will be a lot smaller than that.

Thanks for that.

So are we basically saying that an oven or hob is unlikely to produce an overload unless it's something really major (like a dead short) which would trip any size MCB before any of the wiring got close to melting?

If so, why do some people recommend an extra consumer unit for the oven(s) and hob? Over cautious? Lack of knowledge?

Thank you both for the replies.

When it comes to connecting the oven(s) would you specifically recommend heat resistant flex or is T&E ok too?

If using T&E, is there any harm in using some of the spare 4mm or 10mm I’ve got left over from before instead of using 2.5mm?

I used to advise DIYers for the worst case scenario because they cannot measure that the fault current demands would definitely be met but it was pointed out that it is extremely unlikely in a domestic situation that it would not be met - so now I advise in line with regulation 433.3 above - especially with a 10mm² cooker circuit.

I used to advise DIYers for the worst case scenario because they cannot measure that the fault current demands would definitely be met but it was pointed out that it is extremely unlikely in a domestic situation that it would not be met - so now I advise in line with regulation 433.3 above - especially with a 10mm² cooker circuit.

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying.

Just one final thing, if that's ok.... when it comes to connecting the oven(s) would you specifically recommend heat resistant flex or is T&E ok too? And if using T&E, is it ok to use some of the spare 4mm or 10mm I’ve got left over from before instead of using 2.5mm?

Heat resistant is always recommended by official bodies and manufacturers but very often T&E is used and is perfectly fine but I couldn't possibly comment.

After all ovens etc. are not supposed to heat the outside.

After all ovens etc. are not supposed to heat the outside.

Fair point. :) Ok, I'll go ahead and reuse some of the 4mm² or 10mm² T&E that I've got left over from ripping out the previous bodge-job wiring.

Thanks again for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back