Cable identification help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone in the know be so kind to help me identify this cable and what it is used for? Pic below.

It is flat cable with 4 wires. The metal wire inside is solid silver colour. The colours are white with blue stripes, solid white, orangey red with white stripes and blue with white stripes.

Thank you for any help.

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Flat cable is usually untwisted pairs, and considered 'bodgy'.

Go for standard CW1308 cable. It is round, and has twisted pairs. Twisted pairs reject interference, and are pretty critical for longer runs, especially with ADSL.

Sponsored Links
As said colours correct for telephone but the impedance is likely up the creak for modern systems. The distance between wires and any twist in the wires matches cable carrying AC current to the devices it connects and speech and data carried on telephone cables are AC current although there is also DC current as well. Before we used fax, email, internet etc then the matching of cable impedance was not that important speech would work and the baud rate of fax was quite low so not too much of a problem but early fax machines were installed in series with the rest of the phones so once it detected a fax it would turn off rest of phones in the house.

Early fax machines had very low baud rate I did not start using one until 1990's even then 12000 baud was common. As to very early baud rates in 19th century I don't know but the point is with fibre optic broad band used today that cable is really for the bin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back