None standard ethernet trace wires ??

Sponsored Links
Same answer YES [same colour for one of the conductors of all pairs]
Fair enough - as I said, I've never seen that. Other than 'manufacturing convenience', is there any reason why they'd do that with a cable that only had one 'set' of (3 or 4) pairs?

Kind Regards, John

I give good odds it's horrid Chinese CCA stuff.

Can't find the actual official text of the standard for CAT5 anywhere, but everywhere I can see refers to the 2nd of the pair having a stripe.

Sponsored Links
I've used cable like that in the past, the supplier asked me if I'd accept it and offered a discount - I think they'd had a lot of returns for that batch. Needs a bit more care in termination because, as pointed out, if you lose track of which white is which then things get a bit harder. Back then I was getting through quite a bit - I would have 8off 500m drums on a stand at a time, about the limit of what I could pull at once.
Now, when things do get hard is when some **** has chopped a 20 core (with plain colours) with barely a couple of inches sticking out of the wall (so you can't just strip it back far enough to get "pairs") and the customer is relying on you to get the phones back on again :whistle:

upload_2019-2-23_23-56-9.jpeg

or the BMW driver has taken out a street cabinet with over a 100 pairs sheared off almost at ground level.......
About 5 years ago, some 'work' (I don't know what, or whether it was due to trauma) on the telephone cable or cabinets in our village resulted in most houses in the village being connected to the wrong line for a few days until the mess was sorted out.

There was serious confusion and chaos for the first few hours, not helped by the fact that BT seemed not to understand the reports they were receiving, and were 'calling people back' using numbers which put them in communication with someone different :)

Kind Regards, John

BAS, I assume that's a photo in a largish telephone exchange with what looks like a good few thousand blue/white or blue/yellow pairs ?

BTW, one of the tricks I learned from one of the telecom engineers I dealt with for dealing with the "can't strip it back very far" situations, especially with solid colour wires, is to :
  • Strip back as far as you can/need to but don't allow the cores to spread out
  • Grasp the bundle at the end
  • Push gently so they start to bow out
  • You should then be able to identify pairs, carefully pick them off the outside of the bundle one at a time (and twist them to keep the pairing)
One of those "harder to explain than to do" things.

The alternative is to access the other end and do a lot of time-consuming toning.
or the BMW driver has taken out a street cabinet with over a 100 pairs sheared off almost at ground level.......
I would have thought they'd pull out the cable and replace it in a situation like that - otherwise they'd have an awkward bunch of splices in the bottom of the cabinet.

they'd pull out the cable and replace it in a situation like that

I recall that a few priority subs and the village phonebox were reconnected to the cable within hours and a new cable installed a few days later.

Bowing out a cable was a neat way to get the pairs sorted.

I have an RS 50 core tester somewhere in my junk boxes for testing cables like that, you put them all into push terminals on one end then the other end a tester tells you what number it is.
I stopped using that many many years ago when ethernet took over from serial data cables.

Some of the cables I used were 50 white cores.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back