Wiring help with Cat5e KATT-RJLP connector.

Sponsored Links
The norm is to wire to the B standard, and reserve the A for your crossover patch cabling if so required. (Which I'm am certain you won't require because as stated this is for when you connect equipment direct to each other without routing via a network switch)

As ban all sheds has said using a proper crone tool is best but you can get away with a terminal driver ( never done that myself .......honest :) )

Whilst it is good practice to try and maintain the twists don't worry too much as its highly unlikely to impact you in a domestic environment.

If you have android look for an app called elctrodroid it has the pin outs for most connectors including Ethernet . that will allow you to check you work.

Good luck

I took the above to imply that this is a cable running between two 8P8C modular jacks.
Possibly, or possibly between each faceplate and a patch panel, or even between each faceplate and 8P8C plugs going into a router.

All that matters is that the right pins are connected together - the colours are irrelevant per se as the bits can't see them from the inside, but keeping the pairs together is probably a Good Idea™

Whilst true the pixies in the cable don't know the colour its good to keep to a standard as if you add alter etc etc later its much easier to work from the standard that your memory .....from my experience :)

Sponsored Links
All that matters is that the right pins are connected together
That was the point I was trying to make: A lot of people seem to get confused about A vs. B wiring, but it doesn't matter so long as you use the same at both ends, whether it's between two jacks or from a jack to a plug - So long as 1 & 2 at one end go to 1 & 2 at the other, ditto for 3 & 6, and you keep them correctly paired, it will work (unless, as has been pointed out, you're deliberately aiming to create a crossover connection). The only difference is in the position of the orange/white & green/white pairs in the plug/jack.

The norm is to wire to the B standard, and reserve the A for your crossover patch cabling if so required.
The point is that there are two widely used standards, so you can't say that one or the other is the norm. And - going by the pair colors - if you wire both ends to A you still haven't created a crossover; you need, in effect, one end A and the other B to do that.

That said, much newer equipment automatically senses anyway, and you can wire everything straight through without having to worry about crossover cables at all.

B is certainly the norm in the industry in my experience but as you say you can do as you like as long as both ends are the same, and yes certainly all the kit I use will sense and adjust as needed lots of cheap domestic kit won't however but that's a side point.

I actually just bought 125 8 port harting switches for a project at work today.....glad it wasn't my money :)

In all i wasn't trying to disagree with you or contradict your input just trying to help as best I can from my experience .

Take care

Ditto here. :)

I think different groups and industries often have different ideas about whether the A or B standard should be followed, which is why I said I don't think we should say that one or the other is the norm, except perhaps within some particular area of usage. But we agree on the main point, that there's often far too much fuss made about it when the pins are all connected exactly the same way and the only difference is in which way wrong two pairs are used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back