Connecting armoured cable to mains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. First post and complete amateur.
I have a pond with pumps connected to a mains cable via an armoured cable. It was here when I moved in and was working. It started to trip and so I detached the connection which had filled with water and rusted the wires and casing. I have replacement connector but am confused by the wire colours. The mains cable is the typical Brown, Blue and Yellow/Green. However the armoured cable wires are Red, Yellow, and Green. Does anyone know how these should be connected? I have done a Google search to no avail.
Many thanks.
Grant

Sponsored Links
Are you sure the colours are not Red, Yellow & Blue. Colours used for 3 phase wiring for many years.

Capture.JPG

When used on single phase circuits, usually the Red is used for the Live, Blue for Neutral and the armour as the earth. (also the yellow sometimes) But in reality their function would have been selected by the original installer.

Where they were originally connected should allow you to identify which was which. If you don't know now, having already disconnected them, then it will be a matter of finding what is connected to each core at the other end, or having them checked by someone who has suitable test equipment and the ability to test it properly.

Last edited:
When used on single phase circuits, usually the Red is used for the Live (sic), Blue for Neutral and the armour as the earth. (also the yellow sometimes) But in reality their function would have been selected by the original installer.
If used in such a fashion then all terminations MUST be marked - e.g. oversleeving.

Sponsored Links
would one not check at the other end to determine......
Yes, otherwise it's just guessing as to what it may be connected to.
There is also the question of what it is connected to there, such as the correct rating of fuse/circuit breaker.
And the fact that before anything can be connected, the other end must be disconnected from the supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back