cable in cavity space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have my ring main dropping down from the first floor void through the cavity space in the walls then exiting at the bottom and into the power socket. house is 1950's - is this ok/permitted?

Sponsored Links
If you saying the cavity is between the brick courses then it's not allowed.

If your saying the cavity is between the internal brick skin and the dry lining / plasterboard that is OK providing it's in the sfae zone and suitably supported with fixings.

Any particular reason why not? I assume this would also apply to central heating pipework being run the same way?

Seeing as my house has this throughout the ground floor rooms am I expected to go round and make good? Or simply play dumb?

Because if you have cavity wall insulation your cables may overheat. Also cavity walls are a nice place for vermin to hide and they like the taste of PVC. Oh and certain types of cavity wall insulation can eat away at PVC insulation too.

I'm not a plumber but I can't see why insulating hot pipes is going to be a bad thing so your probably ok there.

You are not obligated to fix anything that isn't immediately dangerous. The current regulations do not carry over to old installations. Do you have cavity wall insulation already? Any shower/cooker cables in the voids?

Davy

Sponsored Links
There won't be any support for the cables in the void.

Cables will touch both the inside and outside brinks, which defeats the air barrier between the two and could cause damp issues.

PVC will be living in a near external enviroment, that the sheath is simply not designed to cope with

Plus everything Davy says.

Oh, and it was all done before you moved in :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back