cable in underlay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thoughts on running cable in the underlay under floorboards, i.e. by laying the underlay around the cable to allow space for the cable?

Sponsored Links
I mean the soundproofing underlay, it is slightly thicker than the electrical cable and is quite hard. The floorboards are laid on top

Sponsored Links
I mean the soundproofing underlay, it is slightly thicker than the electrical cable and is quite hard. The floorboards are laid on top
OK - so you presumably mean that the cable would be more-or-less immediately underneath the floorboards? If so, no, I don't think that would be acceptable, for fairly obvious reasons - someone with a drill, saw, hammer and nails or whatever wouldn't have a clue as to where there might be cables which needed to be avoided.

Kind Regards, John

so should be in a conduit, like that thin trunking you can get at B & Q?

what about flex in the boards? I assume these engineered boards dont flex enough to maybe compress the cable?

its a concrete floor. there is a small channel cut and then the floor underlay. the top of the underlay is above the cable.

thoughts?

thanks

so should be in a conduit, like that thin trunking you can get at B & Q?
If the cable were within 50mm of the top surface of the floorboards, it would have to be in heavy metal conduit.

I think you're going to have to find some alternative route for your cables. Is this underlay lying on a solid floor, or what?

Kind Regards, John

yes, lying on concrete floor
In that case, as I said, you're going to have to find a different route for your cables (maybe above the ceiling, then dropping down walls) - unless you are prepared to dig channels in the concrete for metal conduit.

Kind Regards, John

Hi John,

thanks for replies. thing is has already been done this way about 2 years ago (it was like that when I replaced the floorboards) but now not so sure

was more wondering if there is flex in the boards from walking on it what that might do to the cable

thanks,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back