cable length between downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I am installing some downlights and looking to check a couple of things.

All the pre-packed kits that you can buy come with a length of cable of a specific length, giving a specific a regular length of cable between each downlight. I purchased a set of 5 from B&Q as an experiment and the cable (which was 0.75mm2) gave a max distance of 1.2m between each downlight. Just doing some rough calculations - by the time the cable have gone through joists etc. the distance I would want between most of mine will require about 1.8m of cable between each downlight.

My question is - if I were to buy the downlights and transformer and cable separately, could I safely use a run of say 1.8m of cable between each light if I were to use a higher rated cable (1.0 or 1.5mm2)??

I know that having very long cable runs would diminish the voltage and thus the brightness of the lamp and the length of cable should be the same from lamp to lamp, but other than maybe slightly less bright lamps, am missing any important implications here. (for reference I am looking to use 6x35W lamps with an appropriate transformer..

cheers
Phil

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back