Cable pop up waste leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
4A1BEFD1-B455-4DB1-AEB7-1C5AC50DBC56.jpeg
My father has just rang to say the waste on his bath is leaking
It is a cable pop up type so has what looks like a black box that the cable goes into on the side of the waste
He has dried it down and confirms that it appears to be coming from the bottom of the black box so wondered the following :

1 - is there likely to be something replaceable inside the box like rubber washer or grommet that has perished (it must be 30 years old)
2 - what is actually inside the box and how does the cable attach to the pop up waste as it’s at 90 degrees to it

I’ve attached a photo or 2 to show what I’m trying to describe

thanks in advance
9A9E0F1F-5D09-48A2-AFB3-CF32863CA685.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Replace the complete waste / overflow / pop up assembly . But be certain that it is leaking from where you think ,rather than somewhere else and just collecting where you see it wet.
There are quite a few manufacturers of these ,and all differ in terms of components. Not worth trying to repair.

Replace the complete waste / overflow / pop up assembly . But be certain that it is leaking from where you think ,rather than somewhere else and just collecting where you see it wet.
There are quite a few manufacturers of these ,and all differ in terms of components. Not worth trying to repair.

thanks for the reply Terry !

yes i'm 99% sure that's where its coming from hence i'm curious, as to just what is inside that unit and how the cable interacts with the actual plug as its set to one side
i assume that there must be some sort of grommet between the inside of the waste and where the cable enters the black box

i see that there is a little screw on the flat side of the black box so seems that it allows for access for some reason but i'm not local and my dad being 91 years old, i don't really want him scratching around under his bath more than he needs too....he may never be able to get back up ! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back