Cable routing again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My exterior walls are the common plaster on breeze block, then a void and then brickwork exterior. My question is, do I have to recess into the plaster or can I go through the breeze block, up the void and back through the breeze block in the loft? I know it sounds like more work but I really hate decorating!

Any comments folks?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No you cant run a cable in between the cavity of the walls as any damp that DOES come through the exterior brickwork/mortar will use the cable to bridge to the interior wall.

Thanks for the reply. I'm always willing to learn about such things. I can understand how this might happen but how come the same doesn't happen with the foam that's filling the cavity?

Isn't running a cable in the void the same method as the cables use to get from the consumer unit to the various parts of the house?

Like I say, the reason I'm asking is because I don't know.

Thanks for the help.

Not too sure what the foam is made of but its a formula that damp cannot affect i suppose...good question and an answer im not sure on :confused: .

As for cables going to and from a consumer unit again they `should not` be run in cavities, they should be run surface mounted to floor/ceiling voids or can be run in conduits screwed to the plaster /inner brick face.

Some new builds ive been learning on recently have sited the consumer units at around 1200mm high on an interior wall and run lengths of 200mm x 50mm trunking at a corner of the house from ground floor to ceiling and 1st floor to roof void,all in one particular corner of the house.

Sponsored Links
On closer inspection, the cable to the consumer unit passes through the block, void and brick to the unit in the porch. I guess this is where a little common sense is applied as there's no real alternative. The unit is at such a height that some go off through the floor space between levels and the others I've found fun up trunking/conduit inside the plaster in the corner of the building (guess that's the 150 mm permissible zone).

Looks like I need to start chipping away at the plaster and thinking about redecorating then!

Pants!

Thanks for your help though.

BTW, how many lengths of 2.5mm T&E can you normally fit it plaster recessed trunking?

Thanks again.

If you've got insulation in the cavity there are two reasons at least why you should not run cables in there.

One: the insulation will cause the cable to warm up, as it cannot dissipate heat as well.

Two: some insulations damage the pvc: they leech the plasticisers out of the pvc, causing the insulation to become hard & brittle.

The foam wil be closed cell so will not allow the ingress of water, a bath sponge will be open cell so it asborbs water.
Ray
If onlt ohms law etc was as easy!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back