Securing socket casing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Breeze block wall with electrical plug socket (2 plugs) above skirting board, just enough elecrical cable coming up from floor to fit, (cable buried in plaster), unfortunatly metal casing of socket refuses to get a grip into breeze block and despite varing screw sizes, block just crumbles, I am unable to go much deeper with screw holes for fear of coming out into the adjoining room, could i use some type of adhesive to assist my crumbling screws ?

Sponsored Links
Buy some fixings specially for the block - UNO seem good, and use two new holes to fix. If there are no more screw holes in the back box, drill some fresh ones so you can make virgin holes ( :eek: ) in the block to screw into.

If there are gaps around the edge of the box, before you screw it in, dollop some wet loose finish plaster generously around, so that when you screw the box back, the plaster fills all the gaps, and when set, it'll help enormously. Don't forget to wet the block before applying the plaster.

Yah Gripfill v.good.
Or quick set cement
or mix cement & bonding coat plaster together - sets in a an hour & very hard.
To make the box v secure, push in one or two of the unused knock outs a little, adds to the grip.
Fill yer hole with muck (oh Matron!) set it straight with bits of cardboard or wood and wait fro it to set. Job done.

TTC

Sponsored Links
Dunstable Dasher said:
I am unable to go much deeper with screw holes for fear of coming out into the adjoining room,

If all else fails this can be a handy way to get an extra socket in the other room. Bolt the two boxes together with a spacer if necessary. The face plate of one socket ensures the other one does not fall out of its hole.

I have seen an empty box and blank plate used this way to restrain a double socket in a lath and plaster wall.

It is of course NOT an approved procedure.

Bernard

Sharnbrook

bernardgreen said:

Why post it, then?

Accessories must be securely fixed. Held in place by the faceplate of another accessory does not sound secure to me.

What happens when you pull out a plug?

But securespark, surely if both sockets lie flush with the wall, and the backboxes are bolted or welded together and cemented / plastered in place, it will be ok? I mean, pulling on one socket wont make the whole lot come out, will it? Since the faceplate of the opposing socket will keep it there.

And for the OP, sounds like thermalite block - is it blue/black/grey colour, and crumbles when you touch it?

I used plenty of "Serious Stuff" from B&Q, seemed to do the job. I screwed a short screw into the block, and pulled it out. Then injected a load of this adhesive, and spread it all over the backbox and block. Then put the box in place, and push the screw in. It was the most secure way i could think to do it, without (as you say) coming out into the next room!

And i actually used an old blunt wood chisel to make the recesses. :LOL: The hammer drill was just going too fast!

The holes that you have drilled fill them with gripfill or pollyfilla then push a rawl plug into said filler, leave to set then screw backbox to wall.

Failing that use crimps heatshrink and extend the cables, drop extended cables into chase in the plaster, replaster chase then move socket up the wall a bit where you can get a better fixing.

securespark said:
bernardgreen said:

Why post it, then?

Accessories must be securely fixed. Held in place by the faceplate of another accessory does not sound secure to me.

What happens when you pull out a plug?

I posted it because provided that

[1] the spacer is the correct thicknes that the face plates clamp tightly to the their respective walls

[2] the boxes cannot move sideways or vertically due to the hole being a snug fit around them

[3] the boxes are loosely held so they do not fall out when one face plate is removed

[4] the wiring is properly done

this does provide a safe way to ensure pulling a plug out of a socket does not result in the socket and box coming out of the wall.

Some times a very safe method is not approved. Because it is not approved does not mean it is un-safe.

Bernard
Sharnbrook

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back