Change a heater into a socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some guidance would be appreciated:
CRPTbuW.jpg

This is a convection heater and it's in an unsuitable position. I would like to have a wall hung electric fire on the other wall which will throw out heat more usefully and be more attractive.

Also, it would be very helpful to have a socket on the wall to power a floor lamp, etc.

My thought was to remove the existing heater, change the FCU into one of those double sockets that use a single backbox. I would then run trunking around the top of the skirting board and have a plugged cable to power the fire, whilst leaving a spare socket for the light.

Good/stupid idea?

Possibly relevant info: exterior wall on a flat. Plasterboard with a 10mm gap behind it. Backbox sunk into the breeze block. Conduit up to the ceiling space.

Sponsored Links
Also, it would be very helpful to have a socket on the wall to power a floor lamp, etc.
Is the circuit RCD protected?

My thought was to remove the existing heater, change the FCU into one of those double sockets that use a single backbox.
Better to install a proper back-box.

I would then run trunking around the top of the skirting board and have a plugged cable to power the fire, whilst leaving a spare socket for the light.
Better to run a concealed cable to a socket or FCU near to the fire.

Is the circuit RCD protected?

qttPCH2.jpg

(Ignore the word 'storage')
I believe that there are 2 similar heaters on that circuit.

Better to install a proper back-box.
Noted. But could I get away with one of those 2-in-1s or are they considered the spawn of the devil? (I don't have an SDS drill)

Better to run a concealed cable to a socket or FCU near to the fire.
When you say 'concealed' do you mean within a conduit on the skirting board, or can I run it uncovered behind the plasterboard as there's no room for a conduit horizontally?

We need to see more of your consumer unit to determine if there is RCD protection.

Sponsored Links
But could I get away with one of those 2-in-1s or are they considered the spawn of the devil?
They can be used, their only real problem is that the usually have very small terminals on the back, making it difficult to install if there are several wires in each terminal.

We need to see more of your consumer unit to determine if there is RCD protection.
HurDwT4.jpg

That's the lot, I am afraid

And any other equipment nearby. That item on the right is a contactor, an unusual item to find in a domestic consumer unit.
Now that is a whole n'other story........

The flats were supposed to be fitted with storage heaters and they had the meters with a separate off-peak supply. At the appropriate time, the contactor would switch the supply to the heaters onto this second feed and get an off-peak rate.
Of course, two things happened since they wired the buildings and before final fit: a) the storage heaters were replaced with cheaper convection heaters and b) the meter fitted could handle both on- and off-peak on the same feed, so this feature became utterly useless. Its only purpose was to confuse the electricity companies who couldn't understand why one property had 2 MPANs.

I think I was the first person in the entire block to realise that you could just turn the damn thing off and get the meter upgraded so I could change suppliers.

So, putting aside any aesthetics, am I allowed to change the FCU into a standard socket?

The socket needs to be protected by an RCD to meet the current regulations. This could either be by changing the MCB feeding it into an RCBO, or using a socket with built-in RCD protection.

So, putting aside any aesthetics, am I allowed to change the FCU into a standard socket?

Electrically, you could change the FCU to a standard single socket.

This would not be in-line with current regs as the new socket has to be RCD protected.

Ridiculous rule, as you don't have RCD protection on other existing sockets AFAICT.

But there you go.

No RCDs there - but any of those existing MCBs can be changed for RCBOs.
The socket needs to be protected by an RCD to meet the current regulations. This could either be by changing the MCB feeding it into an RCBO, or using a socket with built-in RCD protection.
Okay, thanks.
and I understand that I, as a non-sparky, am allowed to change that MCB into an RCBO myself, as long as I can use a screwdriver without stabbing myself?

Electrically, you could change the FCU to a standard single socket.
This would not be in-line with current regs as the new socket has to be RCD protected.

Ridiculous rule, as you don't have RCD protection on other existing sockets AFAICT.

But there you go.
I am rapidly learning that the regs are a strange and wonderful thing.

Thank goodness I have you fine chaps to help me out.

But there you go.
But that's how you bring about improvements via incremental change.

Would you argue that we should never have introduced any limits on vehicle emissions, for example, on the grounds that at any point in time there are millions of older, more polluting vehicles on the road?

I would choose to bring the improvements on the totally new or totally refurbished; and leave the old stuff until complete replacement or extensive upgrade is due.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back