replace storage heater socket with switched socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a socket on the wall that looks like it used to be a power socket for a storage heater. There is a red light that comes on at night and out during the day.

We have storage heaters anyway so i guess that was what it was for.

Seeing as this socket is doing nothing would it be possible to put a normal swithed socket and if so would it only have power at night?

I was thinking about putting an extension cable to run the TV from that socket

Sponsored Links
Does the circuit have RCD protection?

What size cable & MCB is it?

Why on earth do you want to go to the trouble of installing a socket and have the tackiness of an extension lead for something as insignificant as a TV?

Can you tell me what RCB protection is and MCB?

I can find out the size of the cable and the other things if i know what they mean.

The socket is isn't visible and the TV is on a cabinet so the socket won't be visible.

The reason i want to change it is becuase there is no socket for the TV etc in that part of the room and there is a huge long entension cable travelling around the edge of the room. I want to make it more tidy.

I should be able to get this info in about an hour

RCD is residual current device,this is in place of your main switch on your consumer unit(it has a "test"button above or below. MCB is miniature circuit breaker and replaces the old re-wirable fuses.

Sponsored Links
Will you be OK with only being able to watch TV when the off-peak supply is on?

For economy 7 you'll only be able to watch that TV approximately midnight-7am, or 1am-8am

So no Match of the Day on a Sunday morning (or The Morning Service ;) )

I gave up that idea.

Just out of curiosty, would all storage heaters be on the same wiring like in a loop? or would they each have their own wiring to the economy 7 box?

The reason I ask becuase I have looked at the wires coming out of that box and there is a think wire going to the meter, another thick wire going to a black on/off switch which cutss all power and there are 3 thinner wires going off somewhere else.

We have 3 storage heater sockets and at the bottom of the box near those wires are what looks like holes for more wires

Here is a photo of the bottom of the E7 power supply.

If the 3 smaller wires are for each storage heater would it be possible to connect to the useless one to the mains power

Here is a photo of the bottom of the E7 power supply.

If the 3 smaller wires are for each storage heater would it be possible to connect to the useless one to the mains power

Post a photo of the whole area including your main incomer/CU etc. I think the smaller cables are for the E7 timer. They won't be going direct to each storage heater anyway.

You should have another CU/fusebox for your E7 circuit.

The storage heaters should be wired individually to the fusebox at the top left.
To have the unused outlet connected to the normal supply, the cable would have to be removed from the top fusebox and connected into the one below it. This would probably involve extending the cable, as it is unlikely to be long enough.

However you can't do that anyway, as neither fusebox has RCD protection. That separate black switch with the yellow button is an obsolete voltage operated breaker, which should have been replaced years ago. It may still be working, or it may not. Either way, it needs to be replaced.

However you can't do that anyway, as neither fusebox has RCD protection. That separate black switch with the yellow button is an obsolete voltage operated breaker, which should have been replaced years ago. It may still be working, or it may not. Either way, it needs to be replaced.

What do i need to replace and can you please tell me what i need to buy to replace it.

Do i need to replace both fuse boxes and with what and what about the black box, what do i replace that with

What do i need to replace and can you please tell me what i need to buy to replace it.

Do i need to replace both fuse boxes and with what and what about the black box, what do i replace that with

Realistically, all of those old fuseboxes should be replaced. However if you can't afford this now, as an absolute minimum, that black box should be removed, and an appropriately rated RCD fitted. This won't comply with current regulations either, but will be a lot safer than that old and unreliable device.

The problem with that old breaker is if it fails, a fault to earth anywhere within the installation or an appliance would result in all of the exposed metal parts (such as light switches, water pipes, metal taps, metal casings of appliances) becoming live, which will seriously injure or kill someone.
Even if it still works, there is no guarantee that it will disconnect, as it will only detect some types of fault. Later modifications to the wiring can actually make this situation worse.

A modern RCD will disconnect, regardless of where the fault is.

However replacing that or the fuseboxes is not a DIY task. There is far more involved than just buying the parts and swapping the wires over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back