'Sinking' a socket in to a feature wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On my wall there is a plug socket, which is good as I want to power my new wall mounted electric fire. What I want to do though is hide the power supply. I should note that there is a bit of a gap behind the skirt board which I have to play with.

My plan was to disconnect the wiring to the plug socket, and instead use a terminal block which I would tuck behind skirt board. Use a length of electrical cable running from the terminal block up to a terminal block behind the fire then use the terminal block to connect electrical cable to fire electrics.

Idea to use the 'additional electrical cable' is because it will be sunk in to the wall and plastered & papered over - and would rather lose this cable in case of any future electrical issue with the source or the fire than have to rip cable out messing plaster and wallpaper.

Does this seem reasonable? Looking for confirmation or other suggestions from those with more experiences than me.

Thanks in advance,

James

Sponsored Links
Are you going to connect appliance wires direct to the circuit cables?

Are you going to conceal cables outside the safe zone?

How are you going to cover the terminal block?

Why not just leave the existing socket?

You can't have concealed joints they need to be accessible.

A fuse spur might be suitable subject to the wattage / load the electric fire is rated at.

You will have to look in to running a feed from the existing socket and unless there is a cavity a chase in to the plaster vertically down to the floor void and then vertically up to the fire location will be required.

You have to think about the need to isolate the fire from the supply should there ever be a serious electrical problem.

Sponsored Links
As previous posts, the regulations do not allow for joints to be inaccessible, unless they are maintenance free.
Cables also need to be routed in the permitted safe zones.
If you are running new cable within walls, where the cable is buried less than 50mm and not mechanically protected, then the extended part of the circuit will require 30mA RCD protection, as will any additional socket outlet regardless of depth of chase/mechanical protection. (If the circuit is already 30mA RCD protected, additional RCD protection will not be required).
Cables in solid walls must be chased in compliance to Part A of building regs.

Thanks again, thought this would be straight forward but looks as if more to it. Will get a professional in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back