Cable routing & insulation!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help - I got a few years experience wiring new build houses - although this was gained around 10 years ago.... I,m currently converting my garage into a bedroom & en-suite, The builder is placing studded walls to the front of the brick work then placing insulation into the wall - I am planning to run the cables in the safe zones vertically down the brick wall, my question is - can i do this ?? as from confusing myself reading the new 17th edition regs, i am no longer allowed to run cables through the wall insulation!! I,m very confused, or maybe just over complicating a simple job. Any advice please??

Sponsored Links
You really want to avoid reference method 103# as it'll mean 6mm ring final circuits or 6mm 20A radial circuits for sockets :eek:

Ideally you'll want the cables touching the inner plasterboarded wall (method 102#).

Sponsored Links
Thinking about it, if cables are clipped to the existing brick wall I wonder what effect that would have, thermally?

Even though it sounds like 103# maybe it's a little harsh? It's nowhere near like having an internal 4x2 studded wall, plasterboarded either side with thermal insulation in the middle and the cable not touching either walls.

I feel 102# may be more apt unless there's cavity wall insulation between the internal and external courses. If that's the case then scrub the above and revert back to 103#.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back