Cable Routing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it OK to route the 10mm cable from a cu to a 8.5 kw shower switch vertically through a 3-4 inch thick studded partition wall which is part of the shower cubicle, by using holes through the noggins and enclosing the cable in metal conduit (22mm copper tubing actually). My concern is that the cable will be within two inches f the surface on both sides, there will be no indication on the surface that the cable is there and finally, protection in fairly close fitting tubing could create over-heating problems in the cable.

Would appreciate some advice.

Sponsored Links
The conduit will pretect the cable from damage, so you don't need to worry that its in a place where no one can tell its there, and according to the table I am looking at 10mm cable can carry 43A when in conduit in thermal insulation, since this corresponds to 9.8kw, you should have no problems using an 8.5kw shower on it, problems could arise though if in the future someone installs a 10.8kw shower

Adam

P.S. Just read your post again, I doubt copper plumbing pipe will offer much protection from nails, drills, screws, etc, use proper conduit...

Many thanks for that. I think I will use a slightly longer route that takes the cable well away from the partition wall.

Now for my next query - is there any way to have a combined shower cubicle light and ducted extractor fan starting when the shower is used - apart from having to remember to switch the fan on when you hae a shower. I know you can't run the fan/light off the shower circuit, but I wondered if there is some way to have both come on automatically at the same time?

Sponsored Links
HandyAl said:
Now for my next query - is there any way to have a combined shower cubicle light and ducted extractor fan starting when the shower is used - apart from having to remember to switch the fan on when you hae a shower. I know you can't run the fan/light off the shower circuit, but I wondered if there is some way to have both come on automatically at the same time?

If you are fairly confident with electrics, ban-all-sheds has a solution that may interest you, its somewhere in the forum, do a search, I expect the word contactor is in there and not in too many other posts, but I haven't checked that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back