Cable Spacing in Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm planning to extend a ring main by breaking into the ring using Wago connectors and boxes.

The extension is quite short and I'm only adding one socket, however the cables will need to be chased into plasterboard.

Is there a minimum parallel distance you would recommend between the cables in the wall? Is a couple of inches enough? Presumably if they are too close one cable might warm up the other.

Is this mentioned in any of the current regs?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No, there should be no problems. Quite often the outgoing and return legs of a ring are next to each other in trunking/conduit anyway.

If you are only fitting one socket, why not consider a single radial link? Then you won't need to worry about the cables being next to each other.

I'm planning to extend a ring main by breaking into the ring using Wago connectors and boxes.
Other manufacturers are available.

The extension is quite short and I'm only adding one socket, however the cables will need to be chased into plasterboard.
Do you mean hanging behind it?

Is there a minimum parallel distance you would recommend between the cables in the wall?
No.

Is a couple of inches enough? Presumably if they are too close one cable might warm up the other.
This is not relevant in the case of the two ring circuit cables.
If there are no derating factors for the installation method, then the two cables of the ring are capable of carrying 54A so are not going to overheat when sharing 32A.

This is very well demonstrated by Conny's suggestion:
"why not consider a single radial link? Then you won't need to worry about the cables being next to each other."
So, if one (smaller) cable is alright then surely two touching must also be.

Is this mentioned in any of the current regs?
Must be somewhere; can't find it at the moment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back