Ring cable installation.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wiring my single storey extension & would like some advice please.
The 2.5mm ring main cable is to be conected to extend the existing ring main. The cable cliped to the breeze block wall, covered with PVC capping & then covered by 'dot n dab' plasterboard wall.
Is this ok?

Thanks,
Andy.

Sponsored Links
As long as its in safe zones and the existing ring is RCD protected.

Don't clip behind the capping.

You might as well not bother using it if you do that.

No way you'll ever be able to pull a new cable in.

The ring is protected by a 'R32' MCB & a 80A RCCB.

Will a 'qualified' sparky need to certify this for Building control?

Thanks,
Andy.

Sponsored Links
B32 MCB?
Firstly is any of the work notifiable i.e. is any of it in a kitchen, bathroom or a new circuit (I take it you are also adding lights?)

Sorry, yes its a 'B32' trip fuse for the ring & yes the lights will be connected to the existing lighting circuit protected by a 'B6' fuse.

No kitchen or bathroom but a downstairs toilet with a single light switch on the outside of the room.

A downstairs loo isn't a special location :D
Does any of the work involve work in an existing kitchen or bathroom?
As you are adding to existing circuits and if it doesn't involve any work in the above then the work isn't notifiable to the LABC, however there is still a requirement that it must be safe. For your own peace of mind it is advisable that the work is inspected and tested.

No work in existing kitchen or bathroom. Just adding to both existing lighting & ring mains.

Any special requirements for the loo?

Thanks for your help :LOL:

A Loo isn't defined as a special location as per BS7671... so no special requirements, just the same as everywhere, make sure equipment is suitable for where it is installed etc... you may elect to use pullcord if you consider that folk might not dry their hands properly... an extractor fan would be a very good idea

Also bear in mind that any cabling buried in walls, as well as having to be run in safe zones, now needs to be RCD protected (yes, thats a simplification.. don't yell at me, people!), so your extension lights might end up having to be rc protected

No requirements for the loo unless you have a sauna or swimming pool in there.

All (buried) new wiring will need to be protected by an RCD so you will need to fit an RCBO to the lighting circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back