Cable to outdoor lamp too short

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. Hope you can help.

I fitted a Lap LED floodlight about a month ago. Hurray! We have light! Or, we had light. Whoever the numpty was that had fitted the old light, they had cut the 3 core cable to within 3" of the wall. I managed to connect the new light with difficulty. But no room to loop the cable for drips. Also the waterproof gland on the lamp is designed for 1mm round cable. (Not the flat grey twin and earth) So now I'm not surprised that the light has become temperamental.

So if i get back up the ladder and put up a weatherproof junction box, (or an inline connector) where can I find the needed 8" of 1mm ho5rnf-3g that the instructions suggest? When I Google it I keep finding, 'not suitable for permanent outdoor use'. If I get rubber tuff cable I'm not sure it will fit in the gland of the light.

What am I doing wrong?

Sponsored Links
Bite the bullet and replace the cable rather than mess about with a junction box. Which, BTW, will also have the problem of glanding T&E into it.

Sponsored Links
Bite the bullet and replace the cable rather than mess about with a junction box. Which, BTW, will also have the problem of glanding T&E into it.
I doubt very much whether i could successfully feed a new cable back through to the switch. Who knows how many bends there are on the way. Or if there is conduit all the way .I could end up without an electric supply to my light!

Yes you're right, the twin and earth cable won't fit perfectly on a junction box gland either. The advantage is, I can enter the box from the base, whereas on the lamp it's rear entry only, and with the lamp angled down towards the path any water on the cable would run straight in. So hopefully having round cable from the box to the lamp will give it a good seal.

where can I find the needed 8" of 1mm ho5rnf-3g that the instructions suggest? When I Google it I keep finding, 'not suitable for permanent outdoor use'.

What? Not another set of manufacturers instructions being wrong?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back